• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert bloat AGAIN! questions please :(

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
Well, I dunno if you remember, but a few months back, Rupert had to spend 24 hours in the emergency vet as he got bloat (again, it was the third time!) and the vet could feel a mass (which was probably compacted food, as it passed). He'd been fine since then, until 3 weeks ago - he did the oh so familiar pressing his tummy down, not eating, refusing his favourites - tried to rush him to vets but they were just closing - but with tummy massage and chasing him round it passed, we took him to vet the next day and she said his tummy felt absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about. All was well...

Until we got home from work last night, I always check them thru the window before getting changed, and Rupes was sitting on the frozen bottle - I thought oh oh I'm in trouble for not coming home at lunch time and giving them an extra one! (Cos he didn't move)... so I got changed and opened their shed up, Tia ran straight out as usual, but Rupes didn't - he stayed on his top shelf - I still didn't think much of it, as he often does this if next doors cat has been prowling around thru the day :evil: but then he did a dbf right in front of me, and I just knew there and then that he was feeling poorly, I managed to coax him down to middle shelf where he hid in the tunnel, so I carried the tunnel out (he does this often, if the cats been about, he doesn't wanna come out shed but wants to be in house so he gets a carry in :roll: )

But he refused a fenugreek and pellets. and p&p. and his tummy looked swollen - I managed to pick him up (that in itself is strange) and so did my husband, and I managed to get a drop of infacol in him, his swollen belly went down but swelled back up so after an hour we rushed him to emergency vet.

When we got there she said his tummy felt fine... but he has a slight spur on his tooth and he needs a dental (at our regular vets) - he often has slight spurs but the vets have always said they're nothing to worry about. His gut was rather silent (he'd done quite a few poops in the house after his tummy massages) she said he might have bladder sludge :shock: and to tell our vet he needs an xray.

She gave him 4 injections (metacam 2mg/ml, buprecare mdv 10ml, emperid 10ml, zantac) and gave us some metoclopramide syrup to give him. Soon as we got home, he spent an hour eating (herbs, abit of hay, a grape, some pellets).

I gave him his metoclopromide this morning - 0.4 of it (sooo easy he loves it!) and he's had his breakfast (veg) and he's done some poops.

I've heard of bladder sludge - it sounds horrific!?! He is so sensitive tho, and I think it might have been the thunder - before we went out to work it thundered so bad, and the pressure was awful, it made both me and my husband feel like our heads were going to explode - so it must be even worse for a little rabbit, mustn't it. He freaks out at noises he cant see too. I'[ve not taken him to vet this morning as I think the stress could just make him worse, he's eating and pooping a bit, and I have metoclopromide, I can give him more in 8 hours - do I ring vet and ask for metacam (she didn't give me any) in case he's in pain?

I'll make an appointment with our vet to get his teeth checked, i'm pretty sure he didn't react too well to anaesthetic during his castration (he was at rspca then, id only just reserved him) - but i'm guessing they cant xray him without it can they? i'm worried there might be something else going on as this is the 5th or 6th time its happened (3rd time of needing vet treatment). is there anything else that could be going on that the vet is missing (our reg vet isn't really too rabbit savvy which i think is why i dont want him operated on there tbh) but the vet last night seemed to be clued up and has worked with sears croft before - im tempted to make an apt with sears croft anyway tbh, its about 40 mins away tho.

any advice?

must add, usually, he's absolutely fine, eats none stop, drinks loads, runs around constantly for at least 3 hours every night.....

he's my baby (literally) and i can't bare to see him so different to his normal mental self :(

Bladder sludge is a real possibility and to suggest it the Vet may well have felt something on abdominal palpation.

Personally I'd take him to a Rabbit Savvy Vet at the other surgery if your regular Vet is not too clued up.

I hope he has now recovered from this latest episode.

:wave: Hi

Sorry I know everyone must be sick of me writing this on every single bloat thread but you could try feeding all non-hay foods in the morning/early arvo and only hay for late afternoon and evening.... it worked for me.

Mine used to get half their food morning and half when I got in from work... my vet explained that evening/night time is when buns need to focus on eating up all their soft poos, and if they're fed in the evening they can sometimes feel to full to do this and it can lead to these sorts of problems.

Can't guarantee this will work for you, but it did for my bloaty bun....good luck!

Back