• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new bunny does'nt like me

Bunnie

Warren Scout
On the 15th I got a bunny she loves her cage she is happy and relaxed I have spent some time sitting next to the cage and just chatting to her to get her use to my voice I have put my hand in her cage with a treat on it but then she ran away it is now the 18th and I tried something new I read in a book to clear an area of a room put her and some toys in the room and sit in the middle with some treats and when ever she passes you are takes interest in you, you give her a stroke or a treat so I did this but she spent about 20 minutes hiding in her carrier or in a tunnel after a while we removed the tunnel and carrier and she started playing with a couple of her toys and later when it was time to go back in her cage she didn't want to get in the carrier to take her back to her cage so I carried her in my arms to her cage and she was fine with me picking her up and carrying her but when we got to her cage she climbed onto my neck and shoulder gave me some big scratches and jumped out of my arms and landed on top of her cage I then got her back in and left her in quiet so I now feel like I have gone back to square one I also don't know what to do about vaccinations? As I want to get her use to me and like me then have her get vaccinations then move into her hutch outside. but it seems like she will never like me :(

btw her name is "Snuggles" she is 13 weeks old she is a dwarf lop and I got her from a pet shop.

sorry about rambling on 12 lines I don't look at the screen when I am writing so have no idea how much I have written until I hit "submit new thread"

You've only had her 3 days, give her time!

She's had loads to get used to, new home, probably been separated from other bunnies that were in the shop, new smells, new people... She'll come round but in her own time. I have a new boy I've had a week and although he'll sniff me and eat from my hand now he's still very timid. I had the same to start with with my girl I've had for a year and she's super cheeky and friendly now.

You've only had her 3 days! That's no time at all. It will take a lot longer than that for her to relax and learn to trust you. I wouldn't be taking her to different rooms at this stage, she needs to get used to the room where she is living first. You should just let her out in that room, bunny proof it so she can't chew any wires or anything. Don't be picking her up, you'll just make her more scared of you. If you want her to go back in, just put some yummy food in her cage and she'll go and get it eventually. You just need to be very patient. It could take weeks or even months, but you need to really slow down with things x

I've had my rabbit Frankie for about 2 months and he is like your rabbit. I sit with him every day and talk to him. He'll sniff my hands and give me nose bumps but won't let me pick him up. Hopefully they'll get used to us soon :)

Try letting your rabbit out where there is just the two of you, lie on the floor if possible or sit and just read a book or magazine and sort of ignore it, the rabbit will get nosy and start to come towards you in a weeks or so and this lets it know you don't mean it any harm. Let it make the first moves to get close, one of my rabbits Nala was very scared of us at first and I did this with her now 3 months on she is the sweetest thing and loves to be picked up and held like you would hold an newborn baby so she can have her tummy tickled. You have to remember that most rabbits don't like being picked up, my last rabbit hated it so I only did it when necessary I used to just sit with him on the floor and he would climb on my knee when he wanted a love it did Flopsy no harm he lived until he was 11.

I am not sure I would even let he out just yet.

Get him really familiar with his 'base' first. How big is it? Does it have something he can retreat into, if he feels scared?

Like everyone has said, it is way to soon to expect anything different to how he is at the moment. Oh, and I have had several bunnies over many years. I can't recall any bun being happy to be picked up or snuggled (other than by their snuggle bun partner :).

Good luck :)

Back