• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greens and vegies

Dollys Buns

Young Bun
Hello:wave:

About 3 weeks ago I took on 4 rabbits - after they had been abandoned. They were fairly healthy (a bit overweight) - according to the vet and I have switched them over from the Waggs Muesli they were on (their previous owner had very 'kindly' left some food behind) to Excel Pellets. I am not sure what hay they were on before - if any - as there wasn't any in their cages when they were found. They seem to love Bob Martins Meadow Hay and eat loads of that now.

The vet told me to feed them green vegies as well - so I have tried offering them some but they just don't seem interested at all. Do rabbits NEED greens or is it just something is a supplement to their diet? On the positive side - I'm more healthy now as I eat the green stuff that the bunnies don't:D

Also - it seems such a boring diet - hay and Excel pellets - is there anything else I can feed them as a treat? I don't want to give them the wrong stuff.

Sorry if this seems like dumb questions - but am new to this bunny stuff and terrified of getting it wrong:shock:

they don't need them and some can't tolerate them but just try introducing one at a time and see if they eat it. it can take a few times of offering for them to decide if they like it or not :roll::lol: fussy bunnies.

fresh herbs are a good one to give. i would start with those. my two only have fresh herbs and no other leafy greens or veg, except some forage occasionally. :wave:

Our lot don't get green stuff either - they turn their snooty little noses up at such healthy offerings:D

As occasional treats though - Holly and Sheldon love a bit of apple or carrot - and Sheldon loves Banana - but careful with these as they are very high in sugar.

They also get dried dandelion salad stuff you can get from Sainsburies - they love that too.

My rabbit will eat literally anything, pretty sure he'd eat me if I died in the house, but his favourite things to eat are herbs.
Try slowly introducing a bit of mint, parsley, that kind of thing, Kale is a big fave too. But really, bunnies best friend food wise is hay and natural forage! :thumb:

Back