• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal?

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
Was just outside with my rabbits and Belle is currently in a DBF position.

I was watching her breathing when i noticed she breaths in then out but on the out its like her belly expels then her shoulder type area/chest area comes up.

Belles just had a huge moult so first time i have seen this area without loads of fur there. Does she need to see a vet? She's otherwise fit and healthy.

Lilly does this, breathes in, belly expands and as the belly goes down her rib cage expands. Only when she's deep asleep though. I thought the chest expansion was just her heart beating and being visible due to recent moulting :oops: and just a coincidence it was beating at the same pace and alternately to her breathing.... Maybe not! She's happy and healthy though as far as I'm aware so hopefully it's not an illness sign!

Lilly does this, breathes in, belly expands and as the belly goes down her rib cage expands. Only when she's deep asleep though. I thought the chest expansion was just her heart beating and being visible due to recent moulting :oops: and just a coincidence it was beating at the same pace and alternately to her breathing.... Maybe not! She's happy and healthy though as far as I'm aware so hopefully it's not an illness sign!

Better description then mine but thats it. I've just never seen it before.

Better description then mine but thats it. I've just never seen it before.

I did consider that maybe it was that she had hiccups in her sleep? She does get hiccups but normally they're rather noisy, but maybe when relaxed and sleeping they're not noisy? It did looks a bit like "breathe, hiccup..... breathe, hiccup...."

Nutmeg kind of shudders when she breathes out sometimes. When her breathing is at it's worse it makes her whole body move. :(

Nutmeg kind of shudders when she breathes out sometimes. When her breathing is at it's worse it makes her whole body move. :(

Aww poor Nutmeg :(. Its was concerning me enough watching Belle.

Just checked her again and she's back to normal breathing now. Think i am just on hyper alert as they are going to the boarders this weekend.

I was going to suggest peristalsis, but I shan't bother as my question obviously wasn't the right one.

I was going to suggest peristalsis, but I shan't bother as my question obviously wasn't the right one.

Just read up on it as i have never heard of that before. Thank you thats one to bookmark. With having four you never know whats going to crop up.

Back