• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dark urine spots

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all. I went to put my two bunnies to bed and noticed a dark patch of urine. It looked like blood but upon wiping it up I saw that it was very dark brown. I then noticed that there were about 4/5 little patches in the lounge, hallway and their room :-( Noel has EC and the last time I noticed some leakage he had to be panacured. I am going to ask the vet for advice. It has been very hot today and I read that dark brown urine can be a sign of dehydration. They have had about the same to drink as they usually do. Any advice? Thank you. x

Last edited:
No change in their diet. They just have hay, half egg cupful of pellets each day. They have recently changed their litter tray habits by weeing puddles on their floor underneath their hay rack.They both seem full of beans today. Strange. Should I be worried?

No change in their diet. They just have hay, half egg cupful of pellets each day. They have recently changed their litter tray habits by weeing puddles on their floor underneath their hay rack.They both seem full of beans today. Strange. Should I be worried?

I would get them both checked over by your Vet, loss of litter tray training can sometimes be indicative of a health problem.

Thank you. I have them booked in to the vet on Saturday morning to have their jabs so I will ask her to check them both out. Milly has been drinking an awful lot tonight in comparison to Noel.

We took them both on Saturday and Milly's bladder may have been a bit tender as she flinched a couple of times when the vet felt it. We went back with a urine sample. The result showed a couple of crystals and the white blood cell count was slightly high. She has a weeks worth of Baytril (she absolutely hates it and it is a real struggle getting her to have it). Today I noticed more brown spots of urine in the cage which indicate leakage. We have to go back with another sample of urine 48 hours after finishing the anti biotics. I am worried about her :-( She seems her normal self though. We have also been told to panacur them because Noel has EC.

Back