• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this balding on my bunny?

bluenile

New Kit
Female, non-spayed
Type: Netherland Dwarf

Hi everyone,

I just noticed today that my bunny, Bonnie, has this bald patch of fur on her back and i don't know what it is! It's about one to two inches wide down her back and it's not as red as the picture shows but rather a pale pinkish color. It's not flaky. What do you guys think of it? Is it serious? What should I do?

Thanks in advanced!

979505_4787289610017_1960956932_n.jpg

I would take her to a vet, it could be a few things from mites to stress! Looks like it is probably mites, in which case it should be quite easy to sort out.

Also you may want to talk to the vet about spaying too. Over 80% of unspayed female buns get ovarian cancer by the age of five :( I have lost a girly to cancer (she was a rescue and too overweight to spay) and it is a horrible horrible illness.

I would take her to a vet, it could be a few things from mites to stress! Looks like it is probably mites, in which case it should be quite easy to sort out.

Also you may want to talk to the vet about spaying too. Over 80% of unspayed female buns get ovarian cancer by the age of five :( I have lost a girly to cancer (she was a rescue and too overweight to spay) and it is a horrible horrible illness.

That would be my guess too. Only other thing is had she had any vaccinations recently - could it be around the site of the needle?

I too lost a bun to ovarian cancer when I knew no better and would always have a bunny spayed :cry:

It could be mites, which the vet can give you some drops to treat.

Is she on her own? The other possibility would be a companion over grooming her.

Yes, it could be mites. Or like Tasmin said, maybe a partner over grooming her. In any case I'd take her to the vet.

Additional Info

Thank you all for the advice!

Could someone just let me know how much the mites medication should cost?

Also- I have a male bunny who I've bonded her with so maybe he's the reason. If he is the reason, why would he do this? He is the same age as her and is neutered.

Bonnie will be spayed when she's two since the vets have said she's still too small.

Thanks again!

Phone your local vets and ask what the prices would be.....it really varies. She does need to see a vets tho'

It does vary a lot between practices but if you call they'll be able to give you a quote. The actual medication isn't very expensive it's usually the consultation fee that costs you.

Over grooming is usually caused by boredom or stress e.g. if they don't have a lot of space or things to do. I would definitely rule out the mites first though as that's much more common. Sometimes the skin looks flaky with mites but it can just be bald spots.

Back