• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Bonding

bebo

New Kit
Hi

We are trying to bond two male rabbits called Tommy and Flopsy. The first day went really well but the next 3 days flopsy actually constantly mounting on Tommy, we had to separate them repaeatedly but Flopsy carrying on mounting on him.

Please advice me how to handle this situation so that they can be bonded as good friends. To be honest they do like each other and they definitely don't fight apart from that issue.

Many thanks
Bebo

Mounting - or humping - has always been a part of the bonding process when I've done a bond. As long as nobun is getting hurt I leave them as continually separating them will make the bond more difficult.

Even now my bonded buns will go through stages of being humpy - especially George. I don't know how Gemma puts up with it, but she does have areas she can get to where George can't hump her.

ETA - are they both neutered?

If neither bun is getting hurt during the humping I wouldn't separate them - just watch carefully to ensure that no biting is occurring. It is a stage that often happens in bondings but it does pass.

bebo

Hi

Thank you so much for your great advise, I really appreciate this.

Flopsy did try to bite Tommy yesterday and today when he was mounting on him but I manage to stop it. And Tommy never bites Flopsy, when he mounts on Tommy.

Regards
Bebo

Hi :wave:
My two Daisy and Harry were bonded last March, both neutered, Harry still likes to hump Daisy every so often, she just finds somewhere quiet and it is all fine. She sometimes humps him on his head??! They get on absolutely fine, even tho they try to hump each other sometimes :)
I hope it all works out for you with the bond

thanks to everyone, rabbits bonded well

Hi just a quick thank you to everyones for the helpful replies, its so useful to have your advice, our two buns are bonded fine now, yes there was a period of humping, but it did stop after putting the together 24 / 7,

glad we stuck to,

on behalf of bebo who wrote the 1st post

Back