• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to place a ramp?

Murphy

New Kit
Hi, :wave:

I'm new here and looking for advice about where to place a ramp in a custom built hutch.

The hutch will be 6 x 2 x 2 with an extended run underneath. I want the hole for the ramp, and the ramp itself, to be best placed for maximum room both top and bottom of the hutch but can't quite envisage it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :D

Ramps, do take up a bit of room, so if you've got young fit rabbits, you could have steps instead, that was you don't need a long ramp filling the bottom section.

Having the ramp running down the backwall means you aren't reaching over it when cleaning the bottom section.

Thanks for your reply! I wondered about steps. I do have some log circles (like stepping stones) I could use for that.

Any ideas about where to situate the hole in the floor. I thought maybe right behind the sleeping area wall but the hutch maker suggested the back corner opposite from the sleeping area wall. I'd earmarked that area for a litter tray really. I'm a bit confused now.

It really completely up to you :)

I would tend to place the entrance hole to the bed area towards the middle/back of hutch as it's more sheltered. And you don't want them stepping out of bed and dropping down the hole so that might influence things.

No reason you have to have it in the corner though, you could do it in the middle or part way along the back. Or even the front corner, then have the steps going down along the side wall of the hutch.

If I have the back of the run cladded so it's sheltered, would that be a good place to put a litter tray? Then it's not so much of an issue where the opening to the 'downstairs' is.

You can always use a hooded cat one :) Beware though, you might need a litter tray in the hutch to start with just because they might decide that's where they want to go. They'll generally choose a free corner though.

Back