• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pic of one of my rabbits penis ...and something strange.

my rabbits hind legs have been playing up recently following a spate of incontinence. he has seen a vet who said that it is probably aged related and that he wasnt showing signs of E.C specifically. because is legs are weak he is making a bit of mess when pooing so i have picked him up to clean him up a little and noticed these brown things on either side between his penis and anus. he is going to the vet tomorrow but has anyone ever seen anything similar before? to me it looks like it might have something to do with having his testicles removed though that was a good 3 years ago..anyway here are some graphic pics

Those are his anal glands, some bunnies seem to struggle to clean them out and need a bit of help from time to time. If you use a damp cotton bud or cotton wool ball you can gently wipe the muck out of them. Beware though, they smell!

Yip, scent glands.....I have to clean Herbies, they do smell but I don't find it the worst smell ever.

Like Ali said, a wet cotton bud in a swirling side action pics up most of it :)

How old is he and did the vet test for EC? EC can just present with hind limb weakness. I would be tempted to do a full course of pancur just as a precaution.

If his back ends a little unsteady he might be having trouble with cleaning/lifting his bum to wee which might be contributing to the wetness. If you ask the vet they can shave that area underneath for you and it's much easier to keep clean/dry as you can just wipe over with a wet wipe a couple of times a day :)

The other thing to check is his ears. As they use their back feet to clean them out, if they have mobility issues they can get dirty too.

Good points Tamsin
Scent glands are basically just smelly. I put a very small amount of sunflower oil on Thumper's to soften overnight. Next morning he'd done it all himself. ;)

How old is he and did the vet test for EC? EC can just present with hind limb weakness. I would be tempted to do a full course of pancur just as a precaution.

If his back ends a little unsteady he might be having trouble with cleaning/lifting his bum to wee which might be contributing to the wetness. If you ask the vet they can shave that area underneath for you and it's much easier to keep clean/dry as you can just wipe over with a wet wipe a couple of times a day :)

The other thing to check is his ears. As they use their back feet to clean them out, if they have mobility issues they can get dirty too.

This. :thumb:

Back