• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stitch

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Woody seems to have a lot of stuff going on today :(

I just picked him up and checked underneath him. A purple stitch is visible (castrated on 1 May). It is about a 2cm thread hanging from his scrotum.

What should I do? Vets?

My vets only use disolvable internal stitches, I wouldn't expect to see anything this long after his neuter. You could phone your vet and ask if they recommend seeing him?

Golden Valley in Nailsea as they are five mins from my house and run their own emergancy service, which I've had the misfortune of using too often. They are really good with the bunnys and have always been open to my suggestions for alternative meds with my snuffle bun. They are really helpful and used to me asking complex questions. Even the trainees seem to know who I am even if I've never met them. :lol:

If its purple its likely a disolveable suture sometimes the end where the vet has ended the suture can pop through the skin sutures can take up to 2 months to dissolve properly should be quick jib of trimming the end shorter so it doesn't cause him annoyance

Golden Valley in Nailsea as they are five mins from my house and run their own emergancy service, which I've had the misfortune of using too often. They are really good with the bunnys and have always been open to my suggestions for alternative meds with my snuffle bun. They are really helpful and used to me asking complex questions. Even the trainees seem to know who I am even if I've never met them. :lol:

Oh right so you must live near the bridge then! Used to cross it everyday to go to Cardiff uni.

If its purple its likely a disolveable suture sometimes the end where the vet has ended the suture can pop through the skin sutures can take up to 2 months to dissolve properly should be quick jib of trimming the end shorter so it doesn't cause him annoyance

Right okay. I am worried he will pull on it and everything will unravel!

Hi

Yes they said that they are dissolvable stitches and that it should be fully healed. They want to see him tomorrow to check but suspect the thread will just need snipping

X

Back