• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hay induced dermatitis in Rabbit?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone had a rabbit who reacts with skin inflamation to hay?

I think we may have one!

We all thought it was the saliva from his dribble that caused his dermatitis - but since two major ops on teeth and stitching tongue back together he no longer dribbles, and when given hay again in a tray has flared up with skin issues.

Taken away he gets better again.

Anyone?

No experience but I wonder if piriton would help?
If its an allergy he has it may counteract it so he can enjoy his hay.
Hope someone comes along with more info.

vet is exploring non steroidal options - and it some point we have to confront him with hay again just to make sure that that is what it is . . .

poor little chap has multiple health issues anyway.

Well perhaps fortunately he cannot have hay anyway as his awful start in life means that he only has a few molars left with most having to be removed, and no incisors as they had to come out as well. he is less than a year old and skinny as a rake - was 1.2 kilo when went in for his op and he arrested whilst under GA and had to be brought back and then under again as his teeth HAD to come out as they were locking together and sliced his tongue in two. If he had had a normal healthy first few months he should weigh twice that. A rescue has been doing what they could for him but their vet did not have the skills to sort him out, so he is with us and our vet now.

Aw poor poor baby!
that's shocking! How could anyone let him suffer to get him in that state!
I'm so glad he's with you now xxx

Back