• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumbar muscle/back pain

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi
My bunny dizzy suffered a suspected injury to his lumbar/back muscles a few months ago. A blood test showed tissue damage and xray was clear. i suspected hed had an accident. He was given metacam for quite sometime along with cage rest and he eventually went back to hisnormal self.

3 months later it seems to have happened again! Have been to the vet today and she says he has pain in the same muscles. It's very frustrating as we don't know the cause. All i can put it down to is him being a three leggged bunny although hes never had problems before. I removed his platform in his enclosure some time ago incase he had fallen off it but I'm wondering if he's straining the muscle somehow? He's back on metacam.

Anyone experience anything like this/any thoughts?

No experience in bunnies, but I do know that myself from using limping it does pull all the muscles the wrong way when you walk differently from the way you're made to walk.

Perhaps some acupuncture would help him, it would ease the pain and might loosen the tense muscles, Kermits bridge bun the lovely Inca had acupuncture and it seemed to help her :)
She had a twisted back leg, and arthritis im sure, maybe drop her a pm?

My bun, Prancer, suffers from a bad back and he gets bouts of being painful every so often. Especially a few weeks ago when he was feeling too good and decided to take a tumble off the stool landing nose first under the bed (someone forgot to tell him he's not a monkey). The next day he was painful. So I added an extra dose of metacam, per my vet's instruction when he first got sick (he's usually on 2 doses a day as maintenance) and made his cage space smaller while I was at work. It took a few days, but he's back to normal now.

I give him Oxbow Joint supplement every morning and he does well on that. He seems to do better in warmer weather than cooler which is really evident this time of the year with the ever changing weather.

And I can speak from personal experience having a bad lower back too. Sometimes I think I just sleep wrong and wake up in pain. I stretch my back, pop some pain meds and muddle through the day.

I hope Dizzy feels better soon!
Prancer and I send soothing vibes!

No experience in bunnies, but I do know that myself from using limping it does pull all the muscles the wrong way when you walk differently from the way you're made to walk.

Perhaps some acupuncture would help him, it would ease the pain and might loosen the tense muscles, Kermits bridge bun the lovely Inca had acupuncture and it seemed to help her :)
She had a twisted back leg, and arthritis im sure, maybe drop her a pm?

I do think its to do with his3 legs as it must put strain on him so thanks for that and will look into a acupuncture

My bun, Prancer, suffers from a bad back and he gets bouts of being painful every so often. Especially a few weeks ago when he was feeling too good and decided to take a tumble off the stool landing nose first under the bed (someone forgot to tell him he's not a monkey). The next day he was painful. So I added an extra dose of metacam, per my vet's instruction when he first got sick (he's usually on 2 doses a day as maintenance) and made his cage space smaller while I was at work. It took a few days, but he's back to normal now.

I give him Oxbow Joint supplement every morning and he does well on that. He seems to do better in warmer weather than cooler which is really evident this time of the year with the ever changing weather.

And I can speak from personal experience having a bad lower back too. Sometimes I think I just sleep wrong and wake up in pain. I stretch my back, pop some pain meds and muddle through the day.

I hope Dizzy feels better soon!
Prancer and I send soothing vibes!

Thank you, pleased to report that he's looking much happier today and eating better so the metacam is helping.

Back