• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long can i give my bun oxbow critical care for

sandysan

Warren Scout
hi
i have been to the vet he has given my bun medication antiinflmortary injection and antibiotic he has told me to continue giving bunn critical care syringe force feed and baby food .. HOW LONG SHOULD I GIVE HIM CRITICAL CARE FOOD FOR

THANKS

Is he eating anything for himself yet ? You will need to continue the Critical Care feeds if he is not.

Is he passing any poo ?

As he has a chronic problem with his jaw/teeth he is likely to need daily medication, especially pain relief. Did the Vet give you medication to continue administering to him each day ? This would be important as a 'one off' injection will not provide ongoing treatment.

It is also important that he has a full course of the antibiotics, not just the one dose. Just as we would not be prescribed one antibiotic tablet for an infection, we would be given daily treatment for at least 7 days.

If your Rabbit is still not eating for himself at all then you do need to take him back to the Vet. This is because he may also need some medication to try to keep his gastrointestinal tract working and to prevent the formation of gastric ulceration.

If he has not really improved since his trip to the Vet then I think you need to take him back today to see what more the Vet can do to help him. Good luck and please let us know how he gets on xx

I continued to syringe feed Furby even after he started eating for himself and gradually tapered it off. He had lost weight so the vet was happy for me to do this to try and build him up again. He is now nomming more than usual so I am not syringe feeding at all.

meds

hi jacks jane ,

the vet has put bun on 0.20 x depocillin 1ooml and 5.00 meloxidyl and 3 drop with food of antinflamorary and painkiller hie is also on fibreplex. he is pooing fine just little bits and he is weeing , but hes extremely thin and vet siad if he goes down to 2.5kg it will be bad news ,,,
pepper my bunnn is fighting when syringe feeding him , he dont want to eat it and he doesnt want to drink and he isnt eating any of his normal food as yet ,,
i will continue to feed cc care food and baby food , but if he continues to refuse water and his own food then i will have to seek further but to be honest im devestated as i do think eventually he will have to be pts., im trying to give him the nennefit of the doubt, to see if he wwill surivive all this , but there has to be a stop to it somewhere if he keeps going down hil

:(

Is he eating anything for himself yet ? You will need to continue the Critical Care feeds if he is not.

Is he passing any poo ?

As he has a chronic problem with his jaw/teeth he is likely to need daily medication, especially pain relief. Did the Vet give you medication to continue administering to him each day ? This would be important as a 'one off' injection will not provide ongoing treatment.

It is also important that he has a full course of the antibiotics, not just the one dose. Just as we would not be prescribed one antibiotic tablet for an infection, we would be given daily treatment for at least 7 days.

If your Rabbit is still not eating for himself at all then you do need to take him back to the Vet. This is because he may also need some medication to try to keep his gastrointestinal tract working and to prevent the formation of gastric ulceration.

If he has not really improved since his trip to the Vet then I think you need to take him back today to see what more the Vet can do to help him. Good luck and please let us know how he gets on xx

hi jacks jane ,

the vet has put bun on 0.20 x depocillin 1ooml and 5.00 meloxidyl and 3 drop with food of antinflamorary and painkiller hie is also on fibreplex. he is pooing fine just little bits and he is weeing , but hes extremely thin and vet siad if he goes down to 2.5kg it will be bad news ,,,
pepper my bunnn is fighting when syringe feeding him , he dont want to eat it and he doesnt want to drink and he isnt eating any of his normal food as yet ,,
i will continue to feed cc care food and baby food , but if he continues to refuse water and his own food then i will have to seek further but to be honest im devestated as i do think eventually he will have to be pts., im trying to give him the nennefit of the doubt, to see if he wwill surivive all this , but there has to be a stop to it somewhere if he keeps going down hil

hi jacks jane ,

Poor chap :cry:

He is clearly very poorly. If I were you I would take him back to the Vet as the dose of pain relief he is on is extremely low and probably of no benefit at all.

When a Rabbit is as sick as Pepper seems to be then you are correct in thinking that there has to come a time when 'enough is enough'

I have had to make that awful final decision for several of my elderly and/or chronically sick Rabbits in recent weeks. Each loss broke another bit of my heart. But in the end I knew that pushing them on would not be right for them. They were in pain and all medication failed to provide sufficient relief for them to have any quality of life. I could have just carried on for days/weeks and watched each one slowly fade away. But I knew they should not go through that and that a peaceful dignified passing was the last thing I could do for them. It was not a case of giving up on them, just giving them release from any more pain.

I know how much you love Pepper and how you want to do right by him. So going back to the Vet would be what I would advise to see if they can provide additional pain relief or if, between you and the Vet, you feel it is time to let Pepper go. I hope it does not come to that, but sometimes loving a Rabbit means we have to let them go.

How is Pepper doing, any better? How is the other one doing from Sunday, Ody was it? I was following the thread but didn't have any input being a newbie. You obviously love them very much :love:

How is Pepper doing, any better? How is the other one doing from Sunday, Ody was it? I was following the thread but didn't have any input being a newbie. You obviously love them very much :love:

hi kate its the same bunny from sunday ,, he is trying so hard to eat some grated carrot and grated cabbage but hes struggling ,:(

hi kate its the same bunny from sunday ,, he is trying so hard to eat some grated carrot and grated cabbage but hes struggling ,:(

Poor little chap sounds very sorry for himself right now :( My Nena wasn't well at all a week or so ago but now she's come on in leaps and bounds and is eating cabbage that I cut up small for her, so please don't lose hope. They can turn a corner very quickly. The trick is to just keep trying them with different things very often, and eventually he should pick up.

Someone suggested that I mix the recovery food with ellas kitchen baby food (carrot or broccoli work well) and it's really helped Nena as she was able to eat it up out of a bowl instead of me having to syringe feed her, which really stressed her out. That may be worth a try? There's been a marked and noticeable improvement in her overall health and temperament since I made her first little batch of the food she could eat for herself.

Poor little chap sounds very sorry for himself right now :( My Nena wasn't well at all a week or so ago but now she's come on in leaps and bounds and is eating cabbage that I cut up small for her, so please don't lose hope. They can turn a corner very quickly. The trick is to just keep trying them with different things very often, and eventually he should pick up.

Someone suggested that I mix the recovery food with ellas kitchen baby food (carrot or broccoli work well) and it's really helped Nena as she was able to eat it up out of a bowl instead of me having to syringe feed her, which really stressed her out. That may be worth a try? There's been a marked and noticeable improvement in her overall health and temperament since I made her first little batch of the food she could eat for herself.

thanks for the kind words ,, i did give my bunn broccoli but i read not to give it rabbitts as it can cause a lot of gas ?? yet he was ok last time on broccoli,
and yes your right it is very very stressful to syringe feed bunny knowing he dont want it and he jumps about so i have to wrap him in a blanket to hold him secure , yet he washes hiself and is very strong bunny when he tries to pull away from the syringe

pepper has had a big drink today and he has eaten the tiniest bit of carrot , is this a good sign ...altho he is still poorly,

hi jacks jane ,

hi jane today altho he is very poorly hye has had a huge drink on his own , but the tiniest bit of carrot also ,,, is this a good sign ?

This. X

Poor chap :cry:

He is clearly very poorly. If I were you I would take him back to the Vet as the dose of pain relief he is on is extremely low and probably of no benefit at all.

When a Rabbit is as sick as Pepper seems to be then you are correct in thinking that there has to come a time when 'enough is enough'

I have had to make that awful final decision for several of my elderly and/or chronically sick Rabbits in recent weeks. Each loss broke another bit of my heart. But in the end I knew that pushing them on would not be right for them. They were in pain and all medication failed to provide sufficient relief for them to have any quality of life. I could have just carried on for days/weeks and watched each one slowly fade away. But I knew they should not go through that and that a peaceful dignified passing was the last thing I could do for them. It was not a case of giving up on them, just giving them release from any more pain.

I know how much you love Pepper and how you want to do right by him. So going back to the Vet would be what I would advise to see if they can provide additional pain relief or if, between you and the Vet, you feel it is time to let Pepper go. I hope it does not come to that, but sometimes loving a Rabbit means we have to let them go.

hi jane today altho he is very poorly hye has had a huge drink on his own , but the tiniest bit of carrot also ,,, is this a good sign ?

Without actually being able to see him it is impossible to say. He really does need to be eating much more

When is he due his next Depocillin injection ?

Without actually being able to see him it is impossible to say. He really does need to be eating much more

When is he due his next Depocillin injection ?

i phoned my vet to ask if i could have a stronger one and hey said no as that is the amount for the size of rabbit,,,, the depocilin he said lasts for 7 days

pepper is having 15ml of critical food oxbow 4 times a day and 2 15ml of country veg baby food and he has had a 10ml of baby rusk

Do you have metacam to give to him by syringe in the house?
Maybe he needs a higher dose if he's still not wanting to eat by himself.
Id phone the vets and ask.

carrot and diareaha

pepper has started to eat , hes has grated carrot and now he is having diareeha ...... does anyone know what else i can give him to eat , he doesnt want his noraml food as yet ,,, but at least he is statring to eat something ,,,,,,,,but imnot sure if veg is the anser ?

Back