• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please, my rabbit is having diareeha on oxbow critical food what should i do ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Warren Scout
hi
i am giving my rabbit who is only 2 kg in weight oxbow critical care fine ground food , i have only given him 1 tbls and 2 parts water . and he is having diareeha is this normal ????

Is it watery? If so he needs a vet asap, if you call your normal vet there should be an answerphone message for a local emergency vet.

If not it's likely to be excess cecals which is usually due to too much rich food or an inability to bend to reach them. Why is he on the critical care food?

I syringe fed my severely disabled house bunny for about 3 yrs following his stroke, but he never had a poorly tummy. I don't honestly think it is related to the CC as I am sure this is not normal. With syringe feeding I don't take any notice of the water to food ratio, and I just put an amount of the food in the bowl, and then just add however much water I need to get it to the right consistency. I always syringe feed warmish food, and I have always preferred Recovery to CC, and Roger did as well. Why are you syringe feeding your bunny?

cc food

hi he is only 2 kg body weight and doesnt eat much at all . he has a growth in his jaw line also which hasnt grown , possibly abcesss but has been treated for it ,, he suffers with hteeth also which he is treated for ,

so so sad about my bunny .. what should i do

yes my rabbit ody needed fibre not long ago ,, i went to the vet and the vet says he is very thin now 1.98kg body weight ,,, since i gave his some critical care oxbone ,, he has become ill again ,, he is not pooing or eating anything , i tried to give him some baby food but he doesnt want it ,,,, i know hes not going to last long ,, but i love him so much i dont want him to die , but the time is coming , and if i take him to th vet i know he will say to have him put to sleep ,,,,,,, he does have a huge abcess which isnt bothering him ,,,in his jaw line hes had it some while ,,, but i discovered another lump in his jaw next to the one hes got ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i dont know what to do ,,, my last bunny i had put to sleep and wow i was so depressed after , it was terrible. i blamed myself for it ,,,,,,,,,,,, and now again im going through a similar thing , i know he will never get better , i can feel all his rib bones and spinal bones ,, please advise what is the best thing to do

thanks

yes my rabbit ody needed fibre not long ago ,, i went to the vet and the vet says he is very thin now 1.98kg body weight ,,, since i gave his some critical care oxbone ,, he has become ill again ,, he is not pooing or eating anything , i tried to give him some baby food but he doesnt want it ,,,, i know hes not going to last long ,, but i love him so much i dont want him to die , but the time is coming , and if i take him to th vet i know he will say to have him put to sleep ,,,,,,, he does have a huge abcess which isnt bothering him ,,,in his jaw line hes had it some while ,,, but i discovered another lump in his jaw next to the one hes got ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i dont know what to do ,,, my last bunny i had put to sleep and wow i was so depressed after , it was terrible. i blamed myself for it ,,,,,,,,,,,, and now again im going through a similar thing , i know he will never get better , i can feel all his rib bones and spinal bones ,, please advise what is the best thing to do

thanks

I am very sorry to hear how sick your Bunny is. From all you have told us it honestly does sound as though it is time to allow him a peaceful and dignified passing. He is almost certainly in a lot of pain now and his liver and kidneys may well be shutting down. So he will feel absolutely dreadful. It is no wonder he is now refusing all food

He is probably dehydrated too, even if he is still drinking. This often happens at the end stage of a severe illness. I dont know if you have ever been dehydrated yourself ? Maybe after a tummy bug or something ? Well if you have I am sure you will understand just how awful it makes you feel.

Whilst I totally understand how much you love your Rabbit and that you dont want him to die I am certain that you dont want him to continue to suffer either. Having a Rabbit put to sleep is the final act of love and compassion we can give. When all hope of recovery has gone and the Rabbit is in pain, not eating and very thin then PTS is a humane act. What would be unkind is to allow suffering to go on and on.

I think you need to take your Rabbit back to the Vet ASAP

pain

I am very sorry to hear how sick your Bunny is. From all you have told us it honestly does sound as though it is time to allow him a peaceful and dignified passing. He is almost certainly in a lot of pain now and his liver and kidneys may well be shutting down. So he will feel absolutely dreadful. It is no wonder he is now refusing all food

He is probably dehydrated too, even if he is still drinking. This often happens at the end stage of a severe illness. I dont know if you have ever been dehydrated yourself ? Maybe after a tummy bug or something ? Well if you have I am sure you will understand just how awful it makes you feel.

Whilst I totally understand how much you love your Rabbit and that you dont want him to die I am certain that you dont want him to continue to suffer either. Having a Rabbit put to sleep is the final act of love and compassion we can give. When all hope of recovery has gone and the Rabbit is in pain, not eating and very thin then PTS is a humane act. What would be unkind is to allow suffering to go on and on.

I think you need to take your Rabbit back to the Vet ASAP

hi jacks jayne ,, ho will i know he is in pain ,,,, he is sitting in his fluffy bed here with me on my bed ,,, and he looks peacefull sleeping ??

hi jacks jayne ,, ho will i know he is in pain ,,,, he is sitting in his fluffy bed here with me on my bed ,,, and he looks peacefull sleeping ??

He is not eating- a Rabbit in pain will not eat

He has two jaw abscesses- jaw abscesses can be very painful

He is emaciated- this will effect his major organ function, so as well as being in pain he will be feeling very ill

The only advice we can give you is to take him to the Vet ASAP so he does not have to continue to suffer

As I said in your other thread, the only advice we can offer is to get your rabbit to a vet that understands rabbits. This has been going on for months and months and your rabbit must be suffering greatly. There is nothing we can do, only a rabbit savvy vet will be able to help him.

As I said in your other thread, the only advice we can offer is to get your rabbit to a vet that understands rabbits. This has been going on for months and months and your rabbit must be suffering greatly. There is nothing we can do, only a rabbit savvy vet will be able to help him.

excuse me i find your message to be very upsetting , number 1 this has not been going on for months , i have taken my rabbit to a vet ,, i come on this forum for advice which i have been given , but i dont need sarcastic remarks from you , as concerns going on for months and months and there is nothing you can do ...... i know there is nothing you can do but a bit of sympathy wouldnt go a miss from you ,,

:cry:

It's really difficult to tell when a bunny is in pain as they hide it so well. Tooth grinding is one sign - but by the time they get to that point they are in severe pain. My bun Furby started teeth grinding a short while ago despite being on metacam and I took him straight to the vet (missing work but bunnies don't work to a convenient schedule, sadly). He had stopped eating too which is another sign of pain.

Fortunately, the opiate injections my vet prescribed have kept Furby comfortable and he started nomming for himself again. I would not have let him continue if this hadn't happened.

Your bun can't tell you how he is feeling and needs you to advocate for him and take him to the vet. Having a beloved furry family member put to sleep is devestating and I am an emotional mess when it has to be done, but sometimes it is the final loving act we can do for our pets.

Bunnies don't often just die peacefully in their sleep. If they die in pain it can be very distressing to witness - and is even more traumatic for the bunny.

We can't diagnose what is wrong with your bunny but your vet can and can advise you on what is the best thing to do.

Sending you and your bun lots of supportive vibes xxxx

It sounds as if your rabbit needs to see a vet urgently...with jaw abscesses he will be in pain and if he isn't eating well he will go into stasis.

There are as few good rabbit vets that you could take him to....Manor Vets in Edgbaston or Halesowen, or Maypole Vets, but time will be of the essence. The longer he is without the treatment he needs the harder the road for recovery

Have to agree - your rabbit needs to go and see a vet urgently (one who knows about emergency rabbit care). It doesn't sound like you are going to be able to manage this yourself and need veterinary intervention.

I think you are kidding yourself saying that he isn't in any pain or that the abscesses are not bothering him. Being quite frank, because you simply don't seem to realise or understand how much suffering you are causing your poor bunny, and I know I will no doubt get an infraction for this, but to be honest I'm past caring, as all that matters here is your poor bunny who you proclaim to love so much, but will continue to cause no end of suffering, so that YOU don't have to be upset!!

I see that you are in the West Midlands, and so am I, so if you do really care about your bunny then bring him to me. I am off work sick at the moment and have got a lot of spare time and I have a brilliant rabbit vet. I will take your bunny to my vet and get him treated, and then continue to nurse him for you and do my absolute best for him, and I have many years experience of nursing very sick bunnies and have 5 'special needs' bunnies of my own.

Then, if or when he recovers, you can collect him and owe me nothing, except to reassure all of us that you do really know what you are doing, and can actually care for your bunny properly. I am finding this thread very distressing thinking of what your poor bunny is going through and the pain and suffering he is being caused, and so I am prepared to do this for the both of you, simply to put an end to it.

I think you are kidding yourself saying that he isn't in any pain or that the abscesses are not bothering him. Being quite frank, because you simply don't seem to realise or understand how much suffering you are causing your poor bunny, and I know I will no doubt get an infraction for this, but to be honest I'm past caring, as all that matters here is your poor bunny who you proclaim to love so much, but will continue to cause no end of suffering, so that YOU don't have to be upset!!

I see that you are in the West Midlands, and so am I, so if you do really care about your bunny then bring him to me. I am off work sick at the moment and have got a lot of spare time and I have a brilliant rabbit vet. I will take your bunny to my vet and get him treated, and then continue to nurse him for you and do my absolute best for him, and I have many years experience of nursing very sick bunnies and have 5 'special needs' bunnies of my own.

Then, if or when he recovers, you can collect him and owe me nothing, except to reassure all of us that you do really know what you are doing, and can actually care for your bunny properly. I am finding this thread very distressing thinking of what your poor bunny is going through and the pain and suffering he is being caused, and so I am prepared to do this for the both of you, simply to put an end to it.

That's an amazing offer and one the OP should take immediately for the sake of the bunny. Loving a rabbit is not enough and will not fix illness - only getting the appropriate vet care will have a chance. Sandysan, please take this offer.

That's an amazing offer and one the OP should take immediately for the sake of the bunny. Loving a rabbit is not enough and will not fix illness - only getting the appropriate vet care will have a chance. Sandysan, please take this offer.

It is indeed a very generous offer - I do hope you take it up, Sandysan: your rabbit is obviously very poorly and suffering.

I agree that it's not easy to know when a rabbit is in pain, unless you know the tell tale 'signs'. A rabbit that refuses food is suffering, I'm afraid.

It does sound to me like it is time to let your rabbit be put to sleep, hard though it is. :(

Thank you so much for saying that. I'm always seeming to be in trouble and saying the wrong thing, but I honestly never mean any malice and only care for the bunny, and I really do feel that unless somebody is able to step in and take over the care of this poor bunny, then there is only going to be one very sad outcome for him. Things like this really do prey on my mind so very much, and it would be worth paying for his treatment so that I know he is ok. I really am not meaning to be unkind Sandysan, but I do think you are confused about the best way to proceed with this, and I can fully understand that, and can only assure you that I know exactly the way to move forward with getting your little guy well again, but would really urge you not to hang about, as he must have very little reserves, well none at all probably, and we really do need to move quickly.

As soon as you are able to get him to me, he will be taken to the vet the same day if you can bring him in the morning. I would come and get him myself, but have had shoulder surgery and am not able to drive, but I have spoken to a good friend and she will drive me to my vet in Northampton.

Thank you so much for saying that. I'm always seeming to be in trouble and saying the wrong thing, but I honestly never mean any malice and only care for the bunny, and I really do feel that unless somebody is able to step in and take over the care of this poor bunny, then there is only going to be one very sad outcome for him. Things like this really do prey on my mind so very much, and it would be worth paying for his treatment so that I know he is ok. I really am not meaning to be unkind Sandysan, but I do think you are confused about the best way to proceed with this, and I can fully understand that, and can only assure you that I know exactly the way to move forward with getting your little guy well again, but would really urge you not to hang about, as he must have very little reserves, well none at all probably, and we really do need to move quickly.

As soon as you are able to get him to me, he will be taken to the vet the same day if you can bring him in the morning. I would come and get him myself, but have had shoulder surgery and am not able to drive, but I have spoken to a good friend and she will drive me to my vet in Northampton.

hi again ,,,

i have had 1 giant rabbit 3 years ago had a massive heart attack ,, out the blue.. i have had a bunny lived for ten years ,,, i have had a reax rabbit who was 8 years old and had teeth problems. i now have a giant rabbit who is 2 years old and in good health ,, and i also have a 2 year female whos is in good health....... thankyou for the offer but i really dont think you will be able to nurse him back to health , he is 6 years old , he has been to the vet when he first had his abcess the vet said there was nothing he could do even if it was cancerous as it was in the JAW LINE. he was given meds for it and pain meds, this lasted a few weeks although he wasnt eating very much he was on fibre plex and eating veg and his food reguylar but didnt seem to put weight on ,,, the second time i went back to the vet he weighed 2kg body weight , he was given a further injections ,,,,
on thursday i bought some oxbow critical fine ground food which i gave him via instructions ,,,, the next day he had diarehha with a white gel substance in his poo....... he then stopped eating and hasnt had a poo fopr 2 days ,, i am giving him via syringe water , and trying him on baby food which the vet advised ,,,,,,,, so what else can i do if i am seeing my vet ...............????? i think i am doing my best , as he is very lathargic at moment and he is going to the vet tommorrow and i know for a fact they will put him to sleep even tho i dont want this to happen , i am trying to give him the best chance in life before he is put to sleep , i am not torturing him by keeping him alive thats the last thing i would do ,, i only came on here for a bit of advice which i have had , and yes i did feel that was a bit malicious as i am very upset and run down at the moment and every negative talk will bring me down right now,

but thanks for the offer but i doubt if you can save my little bunny ,,,
thanks for all the kind advice and not so kind xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back