• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

buns taken to different room for vacs?

hun-bun

Warren Scout
Hi took my buns to companion care for vacs yesterday. The only reason I took them there instead of my usual vet was because they are supposed to be doing half price vacs for may/June and I thought, well any vet can give an injection can't they?
Well she did a health check and then took them to a different room to give the vacs. Has anyone else had this?
Went outside to pay came up a little cheaper than expected but I didn't check the invoice because I just wanted to get them home as they had been in the boxes for nearly an hour by this time.
Got home and one of the buns had a really wet neck. Alarm bells started to ring so I checked my invoice and I wasn't charged for that rabbits vacs. And no half price vac either!
Anyone does think it strange for my buns to be taken away to be jabbed?
Well, all I can think is that she did a through and through which is why his neck was so wet. So does anyone else think that maybe she didn't give him another jab? Now I'm not sure if he's covered. Thinking of giving them a call, what do you think?

I've never heard of them being taken to a different room for vaccination - and I wouldn't like or allow it, I would want to be there.

Did she stamp their vaccination cards to say what they had been given?

Maybe they just charged for one rabbit, like BOGOF type thing. I would go back preferably and have a word with whoever it was asking them why was one of the rabbit's necks wet as you are concerned. Hopefully she will be able to give you an acceptable reason and put your mind at ease.

Oh dear, I would definitely give them a call straight away. No idea why your buns neck should be so wet? They should have either stamped the cards you took in for your buns or given you new ones, and if they didn't that is very strange. That wasn't a good idea taking them to another room, as most bunnies are stressed enough as it is going to the vets, and look to their owners for reassurance, and not at all necessary anyway just for a quick injection. Will you let us know what they say please, as this all sounds very bizarre.

My vets take the bunnies to another room to vaccinate?

I'd hate that. My buns look to me for reassurance at the vet - and I like to see what is being done as well. My vet usually takes them out to the back to weigh them but Furby got so stressed at not being able to see me that now I take them out myself.

I have used Companion Care in the past and they did take one of my cats to another room to drain his abscess but that was because I was feeling faint watching.

I hold my buns when the vet is doing anything as they know me and feel safer when I am there stroking them and talking to them.

I'd hate that. My buns look to me for reassurance at the vet - and I like to see what is being done as well. My vet usually takes them out to the back to weigh them but Furby got so stressed at not being able to see me that now I take them out myself.

I have used Companion Care in the past and they did take one of my cats to another room to drain his abscess but that was because I was feeling faint watching.

I hold my buns when the vet is doing anything as they know me and feel safer when I am there stroking them and talking to them.

Me too - it's the only time they actually let me cuddle them :lol:

I don't see why they should take them to a separate room to jab them, it's not like they're having surgery.

Just a thought could the wet neck be where the vac didn't go in properly.

This happened to my Buster and he ended up with a wet neck.

and me. I was surprised at how much difference to them having me there seemed to make, esp as they are NOT cuddly rabbits usually. Definately question it. Hope you get a satisfactory reply.

My vet has taken Ludo to a different room to give an injection/check teeth once.

He did explain clearly why though.

This was because Ludo was seeing/smelling me and getting more and more distressed and snuggling into me and making the whole process go on longer when he needed to have his teeth checked and three injections for his stasis. In the end they took him out of the room and got a vet nurse to wrap him in a towel to check him over.

I must admit in your case it sounds a bit suspicious, I'd ring them up.

Just a thought could the wet neck be where the vac didn't go in properly.

This happened to my Buster and he ended up with a wet neck.

Yes this happened to my rabbit aurora she injected it and we noticed her neck was wet so she checked and she had just inserted the needle into the hair, not the skin so she had to give her another one. I'd ring and check they had given her a second one if this is the case with your rabbit

mine have never been taken to anotehr room for their vaccinations etc, only blood tests, the wet neck could be if they tried to insert the needle and the syringe could of kind of popped off before they injected, it happened to mabel on wednesday, and my coat got covered in it instead, second time it went ok, sox was looking and as he nervous of things being done to him, we had to say look away sox nothings happened, mabel was as good as gold and just sat there

It sounds like the injection didnt go into the skin but the hair instead. I would not be satisfied that they were covered and would have them done again, in front of you!

Back