• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on encouraging a bunny to use his hutch ramp.

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
He's only been in the new cage for 3 days so he could just turn around one day and start hopping up and down, but so far my rabbit Foxglove is not going anywhere near his hutch ramp. I did know that some bunnies dislike ramps and refuse to use them, and some people think they can be dangerous, but he is so small and he loves to jump up everywhere he can get! His new bunny companion Belladonna is having no problem running up and down, and actually seems to enjoy it. We put a block under the end to make the gradient more gentle and I tried lining it with treats to encourage him but he just stayed in the top of the hutch until I relented and lifted him out of the top.

What I don't understand is how he quite happily jumps onto the back of the sofa and onto the windowsill etc., even running along benches and trampolines, but he gets nervous of a ramp :roll:

Please can you guys give me some suggestions? I know I could put sides on, but I think that'd make it a little harder for Bell who is having no problem with it. That's also going to take a while to get organised! So I'd rather try other methods of encouragement first.

This is the hutch:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95220398@N08/8671890579/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95220398@N08/8672992624/in/photostream/

Thanks! :)

My rabbit was exactly the same for about a week. We encouraged him with food etc but it didn't work. Eventually he just walked down it and surprised us all.

Is it easy to grip? Perhaps you could put little mini batons on it to help make it easier? Good idea making it less steep. I have seen ramps completely enclosed with weld mesh, like a tunnel. Perhaps that would make him feel more secure if you think your other rabbit will cope with that. Hope he feels more at ease with it soon.

Thanks for your replies. It does have little batons on it yes, and the problem is now solved!

I don't like rushing him, but my mum thought he was being an idiot so 'pushed' him down it this morning. He looked up at her, then at the ramp... and then he ran back up and down it... :roll:

Stoopid bunny! Glad he isn't scared anymore though. Now he has twice as much space at night.

Back