• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms! Advice please!

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
I just picked Lola up to check her bottom because she's been having some excess cecals today, and on closer inspection it looked as though there were a group of pinworms hanging from her bottom!! They weren't moving, but they looked a hell of a lot like pinworms. I got my mum to come and clean them away while I held her, and there was a soft poop on the floor so my mum picked that up (with kitchen towel :lol:) and squashed it, and it looked as though there were a couple in there too.

I've never wormed a bunny before (I know, I know, I never saw anything like this on Misty though) so what should I do?
Does it need an urgent vet appt or will it wait until Monday because I don't get paid until Monday. Or, is there anything I can buy over the counter to administer? And what would be the least stressful way to do this? She weighed 2 kilo when she went to the vets to be weighed.

I bet poor Lola as a terrible itchy bum!

Also, what could've caused them? Unless she already had them when I got her and they're at the "coming out to be re-ingested" stage.

Help? :roll:

I thought Ludo had worms and he'd eaten carpet.

So, eherm, check it isn't carpet first. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Not that I'm suggesting you're stupid, I know you're not, but if your carpet is worm coloured it does look quite similar. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

you can worm with panacur which you can get from pet shops with an SQP, like pets at home, so no need for a vet trip unless you're worried :thumb:

I thought Ludo had worms and he'd eaten carpet.

So, eherm, check it isn't carpet first. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Not that I'm suggesting you're stupid, I know you're not, but if your carpet is worm coloured it does look quite similar. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

She lives in the kitchen and they're tiles :| I don't know, there were so many, they really looked like worms. I'll keep checking her bottom, maybe there was just something she shouldn't of eaten, goodness knows what though :lol:

I'll pop down tomorrow and get her some, will it do any harm if it's not worms and just carpet or something :lol: better to be on the safe side! Sorry for all the questions :oops:

it wont do any harm if she doesn't have worms, some people use it routinely just in case. hopefully she's not taken a liking to your carpet :lol:

Definitely wasn't carpet, checked her bum and she has more so getting dressed and fetching some wormer, mothers had orders to clean her cage and litter tray so there's no wormy poos in the for her to eat, wish me luck in getting it down her :lol: not so laid back as misty, you could shove owt in her mouth and she wouldn't struggle. This one will definitely be different!

Definitely wasn't carpet, checked her bum and she has more so getting dressed and fetching some wormer, mothers had orders to clean her cage and litter tray so there's no wormy poos in the for her to eat, wish me luck in getting it down her :lol: not so laid back as misty, you could shove owt in her mouth and she wouldn't struggle. This one will definitely be different!

Oh dear! Good luck! You can try sneaking it in a herb leaf or a crunchie or something :thumb:

Back