• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clip your bunnies nails?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
I know that's kinda how long is a piece of string .... it depends how fast they grow.

I'm just wondering because they used to always have their nails done every 6 months at the vets when they had their vaccs but now they only need the new one every 12 months, I think they need doing inbetween.

They're just starting to poke out from their fur on their feet.

So was just wondering if 6 months-ish was the norm that peeps trim them or do you leave them longer (don't want the buns being uncomfortable but really don't know the optimum length.

Thanks

Jo x

Thanks, my two are on slabs too. Can you see your bun's nails? (mine are just a little bit longer than their fur on their feet, as in I can see them past their fur........... happen I need to get a piccie instead of trying to describe it!)!

Cheers, Jo x

We clip when they first come in, if they need it, and as and when if required, some of them grow very fast, others have been here 2 yrs and not needed them clipped, but they are out as much as possible, a few are in need of a trim, but its full health check ups due so will all be checked top to toe and clipped if needed, we keep a spreadsheet of when buns are done, gives a good indication of general health etc bit anal, but I like it done that way!

Yeah my two are in a double decker hutch with permanent 15ft x 8ft run access on slabs..... I may just be being paranoid, I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. I'm just concerned about them being too long but they HATE going to the vets and I've never done them myself so am mithering a bit as to whether to try it myself (I've seen it done plenty of times but am very nervous about doing it) or take them to the vets (which they HATE with a passion)! Will post pics tomoz to see if you all think its necessary.

Cheers, Jo x

I trim mine probably once a month to one every six weeks, their nails seem to grow faster in the summer. I have to keep them short as they love to climb on people so otherwise we all end up with scratches on our faces, arms, necks... everywhere haha, despite the fact they're on slabs.

:)

I guess about every 6 months or so for me. As a general guide though I tend to only clip back to the level of the fur, because marbles' claws are really dark so I don't want to even go close to the quick. So if yours are only just at the fur level now I doubt they are desperately in need of clipping.

I guess about every 6 months or so for me. As a general guide though I tend to only clip back to the level of the fur, because marbles' claws are really dark so I don't want to even go close to the quick. So if yours are only just at the fur level now I doubt they are desperately in need of clipping.

Thanks, yeah Rascal's are really dark too which is why I'm nervous of doing them myself but I don't want them to be in any discomfort. x

I do mine, sometimes we get buns in and their toesies are curling and they are walking on them, we got a very nervous girl in once, took things very slow with her, she was so frightened, she was hesitant to walk around, about a week later I decided I had to be cruel to be kind and we got her, and her claws where literally starting to imbed in her feet, Felt so guilty, was only trying to allow her to settle in before we pulled her about, no visible defect or injury, never again, they get checked the second they are in.

Ludo is 8 months old, his have never been done even though he lives indoors. They're really sharp but actually not very long when I look at them.

We'll be getting them done at the vet.

We all hate the noise of nail cutting and we're not sure how he'll behave so we think it's safest, even though he's ok at being handled (by me!)

Hi again

OK these are Dizzi's little paws

20130317_082201_zpseaa61a7d.jpg

20130317_082534_zpsd5c77584.jpg

And these are Rascal's

20130317_082528_zps5fb3e143.jpg

20130317_083325_zps7426fdbd.jpg

It was a bit more difficult trying to get a pic of Rascal's, he wasn't for sitting still! lol

What do you think??

I would leave them, they don't look overly long to me but I am no expert at all. We have never cut Scarlet's in 2 years. I do one of the rats, Bob, but he has sharp pointy claws and when they start to curl down at the tips I take the tips off but I've never felt that the rabbits were too long. Badger the other rat has blunter claws that don't seem to grow.

i would probably take the very tips off dizzi's. bisc and matts were like that a few days ago, and i just took the ends off. :wave: when we go to the vets he always takes off loads more than i ever think they need, but they have dark nails so i get scared because i can't see the quick, even with the torch method :oops:

I am in same predicament with my indoor bun who has been indoors for just 3 weeks so he never needed them doing when outside. His front nails are just poking out of fur but when we tried to clip last week, even the very end of his nail bled all over when clipped, trauma to both us and bunny:shock:
I am leaving it a few weeks and then getting vet to do it.

Anyone with indoor buns how often do you clip nails??

I think the normal recommendation is to keep their claws level with their fur, I personally would leave both but Dizzi could have them cut a little shorter, Rascal really doesn't need it :)

I am in same predicament with my indoor bun who has been indoors for just 3 weeks so he never needed them doing when outside. His front nails are just poking out of fur but when we tried to clip last week, even the very end of his nail bled all over when clipped, trauma to both us and bunny:shock:
I am leaving it a few weeks and then getting vet to do it.

Anyone with indoor buns how often do you clip nails??

depends on your flooring, mine live on tiles and haven't needed them doing since Jan but they're certainly a tiny bit longer than when they were outside. If they're on carpet they'll probably need doing much more

Leo's grow so fast, need to do his later in fact! He's indoors.

Poppy is indoors and we trim the ends off every few months.

Donny and Lola.. God it's been ages! Donny was when he was neutered at 6 months old (he's 2 now!) and Lola has been about a year. They could probably do with the ends taken off but they'll be done when they go to the vets soon as they don't fight back at the vets :lol:

Leo's grow so fast, need to do his later in fact! He's indoors.

Poppy is indoors and we trim the ends off every few months.

Donny and Lola.. God it's been ages! Donny was when he was neutered at 6 months old (he's 2 now!) and Lola has been about a year. They could probably do with the ends taken off but they'll be done when they go to the vets soon as they don't fight back at the vets :lol:

This is why I am taking mine to the vets, they can engage in battle:shock:
He won't be a happy bun and will sulk for a bit afterwards but at least I won't be as stressed.

Back