• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny's corner of eye seems red?

tiges11

New Kit
Luis, my little dwarf lop, seems to have a red eye in the corner. It's been like this for about a week now and whilst usually he would have gone straight to the vet we didn't have any money to spare at the time. So instead we've been monitoring him and he still eats fine and is jumping around as usual, and is still pooing. His nose is fine and there's no actual discharge from his eyes, although he does get crusty sleep bits in the corners of them that I pick off.
Also, it seems as though the cartilage bit is covering quite a bit of the corner of the eye (if you get what I mean?!)

Could this just be a general eye infection? I don't think it would have been caused by the type of hay he has as Panda, his wife, has no trouble and they've had this hay for a while now. I will take him to the vet if need be but they're not rabbit-savvy and so I doubt they'd do much for him? Any suggestions? I don't want him in any discomfort!

The only way to find out what is wrong is to take him to a vet

It sounds as though the third eyelid is more exposed than it should be and that can indicate a problem that most definitely needs treatment.

As you say you ' dont want him to be in discomfort' taking him to a Vet is your only option

Good luck

Thanks for the advice

unfortunately all vets nearby are closed, however have been reading up a bit more on it...would using saline drops be ok for him? or would it be best to wait for any prescriptions from the vet?

also, would waiting until monday be too long seeing as they're not going to be open again until then - of course there's the emergency vet but i doubt it's bad enough for that?

this is almost exactly what i'm seeing on Luis' eye http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...282619109697738239&page=1&ndsp=1&tx=194&ty=71

if it's an infection that has caused this, would putting him on a small amount of baytril help at all? or should i leave it just in case it makes him worse? Thanks

We cannot legally advise you to administer prescription only medication (eg Baytril), only a Vet can do that

Can you not at least call the out-of-hours service for advice. If your Rabbit has had an eye infection for several days and you have not taken him to a Vet then he may end up with a corneal ulcer. Not only will this be extremely painful it could also prove to be extremely problematic and costly to treat.

We cannot legally advise you to administer prescription only medication (eg Baytril), only a Vet can do that

Can you not at least call the out-of-hours service for advice. If your Rabbit has had an eye infection for several days and you have not taken him to a Vet then he may end up with a corneal ulcer. Not only will this be extremely painful it could also prove to be extremely problematic and costly to treat.

Got to agree with Jane. Eye problems in small animals can flare up very quickly and get worse very quickly. The flip side is once treated they can heal very quickly. You'd be much better off getting advice and treatment for this now rather than letting it get any worse.

Thanks again. Will be taking him on Monday but unfortunately that's all that can be done for now :( (unless of course it gets worse in which case we'll call emergency vet)

I have to say that reading on other forums and threads that many people seem to have bunnies with their third lid showing which causes no problems, and after checking Luis again, very little of it is showing, and is only slightly red. Of course I will still be taking him to the vet, however. If he is in any discomfort at all, is there any way to soothe his eyes e.g. with warm water?

Thanks again. Will be taking him on Monday but unfortunately that's all that can be done for now :( (unless of course it gets worse in which case we'll call emergency vet)

I have to say that reading on other forums and threads that many people seem to have bunnies with their third lid showing which causes no problems, and after checking Luis again, very little of it is showing, and is only slightly red. Of course I will still be taking him to the vet, however. If he is in any discomfort at all, is there any way to soothe his eyes e.g. with warm water?

If you do not intend taking him to a Vet until Monday then I would leave his eye alone. Without knowing what is actually wrong it's impossible to say whether bathing it would help or make it worse

My recent rescue, Sorrell, had his third eyelids out a lot when I first got him but he was very unwell with severe ear infections (previous person had left them untreated for a looooong time) and was also dehydrated (he had been left without water :( ). After treatment the eyelid situation improved a lot but he still gets a bit of grit in the corners and after GA for his neuter they were a bit worse.

Just thought i'd mention that in case your bun has some underlying problem that you might not see straight away - the vet should be able to rule things out.. would be tempted to have some bloods done "just in case" - least then you have the full picture :) I know it isn't cheap but I felt so much relief and it put my mind at rest :D

Back