• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

amie944

Young Bun
Hi,
I have had my rabbit for just over a week now, I have read to get him neutered (he lives as a house rabbit) theres been no straying or him being smelly hes just hyper somethings and has a cheeky but wonderful personality.. from what i have found so far. I know it has been advised to get him neutered but i am worried it will change his personality. Hes very friendly and lovely at the moment. We have bonded really well and hes very confident and close with me. Could anyone advise what is best for him?
Many thanks

IMG_0300 by Amie944, on Flickr

this site is very pro neutering, and while I know it is important to have lady buns spayed for health reasons, I personally have never had a male neutered. (I've had 3 boy buns, all lovely house buns with lovely temperaments that all lived long healthy lives)
I'm sure someone who knows more about it will be around to answer questions soon..

also how old is your bun? Because a lot of the spraying and behaviour changes may happen around bunny puberty which I believe it at around 3-4 months

Last edited:
I used to have a male bun, we never had him neutered as it was before I really learned about rabbits. Looking at him and the other un-neutered rabbits I have met I personally think it can be quite cruel to them not to neuter them. My rabbit was continually frustrated, he would chase us around, hump us, grunt a lot, spray and chase a football around all day trying to hump it. I now realise he was constantly hormally frustated, even though we didn't ever have a female bun, or ever came anywhere near female scents, it was unfair to him to leave him intact and his life would have been much more relaxed and less stressful if we had him neutered.

All my male buns have been wonderful cuddly buns, then hormones hit and they turned into moody teenage monster buns :evil: neutering has sorted them all out and got rid of the nasty hormones every time (I've had 3 boys) they all reverted back to cuddle buns after hormones settled.

Personally I would, my Thor has been the only one of my 3 ever to seem more subdued after a neuter and to be honest that happened before when he was in mental hormone bun mode. And he is still himself wit the same cheeky lovely personality he just became a little wary for a while, but I've won him round again I think :p

Having had to look after my cousins unneutered bun for only a week I would say get him neutered as soon as he's able ;)

Dexter is just over a year old, and has been spraying for only a few months, Oh my god.
Eveytime we walked into the kitchen he sprayed us, sprayed everywhere!
and honk honk honk! Never a moments rest.
He was also quite an unwell bunny, he went into stasis the night he came to us as he had a spur growing into his tongue. :(
I found it really difficult to tell something was really wrong from his behaviour, as his hormones still made him run around mental.
Whereas if he'd been neutered I think I would have seen how he was truly feeling a bit easier. (he went to the vets regardless, but it did make me feel like I may have been worried about nothing, if you get what I mean)

I've just recently had biscuit neutered, my first boy done (my other boys were already neutered before I got them)
He was fine literally that night!
Where as Angel with her spay felt sorry for herself for a few days.

Just make sure you are confident that your vet is rabbit savvy it honestly takes the weight of your mind.
I'm lucky Biscuit never sprayed before he was neutered. I don't think I'd be able to handle having a bunny spray me all the time!

And as for worrying about his personality changing, it wont. He'll be a lovely sweet boy, but just without the raging urge to hump everything! :lol:

Getting your boy neutered asap will avoid the hormonal teenager behaviour, and you will still have a happy adorable bun then won't be distracted by humping and spraying! To be honest, I have never had the experience of being sprayed, as all my buns are neutered at the earliest opportunity before their hormones kick in, and I have the most laid back, adorable and docile buns you could imagine.

Getting your boy neutered asap will avoid the hormonal teenager behaviour, and you will still have a happy adorable bun then won't be distracted by humping and spraying! To be honest, I have never had the experience of being sprayed, as all my buns are neutered at the earliest opportunity before their hormones kick in, and I have the most laid back, adorable and docile buns you could imagine.

This.

Also, it removes the chances of testicular cancer in bucks.

Thanks for all the help, I rang the vet this morning, had a good chat with him and he's book in for his operation on Thursday! Nervous but he will be fine :D

Back