• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding on the bathroom floor.

Had my buns together for about an hour and a half on the bathroom floor now. I have a spayed female and neutered male. It seems to be going well although Bobby keeps humping Esmerelda. She seems to settle and flop on the floor but then he goes and humps he head and constantly follows her around. They've both been self grooming and eating a few pellets I've scattered on the floor. What do I do next? I've been told to keep them in the same small space for 48hrs but this isn't going to be possible in the bathroom! :?

Can you not find a small neutral space where you can keep them together for 2 or 3 days? Otherwise you will keep breaking the bond they are trying to form.

they really need to be bonded somewhere where they can stay for 48 hours, as moving them can unsettle them and disrupt the bonding process. Do you have an indoor run/puppy panels that could be used to provide them with an area for bonding? Also do they have lots of hay, as this can help distract them from humping each other. Otherwise, it sound pretty good so far :thumb: I always have a soft dustpan brush/broom & garden gloves at hand just in case I need to gently seperate them from too much humping/fur pulling etc...which is all normal behaviour!

No I don't have another neutral space :( That was the ony one. I could try to keep them in there together. I'll just have to shower t my mum's haha!! Will they be ok in there together over night then? I'm scared I won't be there if they start to fight.

Oh and yes they have lots of hay. Seems to still be going ok. What do I do when I move them both back into the living room where they will eventually be?

Last edited:
Humping is fine and perfectly normal :wave: if he is doing excessively though ie. Constantly you will need to keep lifting him off, as his boy bits can get sore! Also, if he humps her head you should stop him too as she might bite him in a very painful place! Does she seem ok with him humping her or is she getting cross? If all is well just carry on :wave: you shouldn't really leave them unsupervised so soon though in case something kicks off and somebun gets hurt. Stay with them as much as possible and sleep nearby so you wake up if there's a scuffle.

If you haven't got a suitable neutral space, then you could use a puppy pen on top of an old shower curtain covered in newspaper & bedding..that's how I bonded my quad. I just put cardboard around the inside of the puppy pen to keep the aubious and hay inside. I did mine in the middle of the living room, then just expanded the puppy panels slowly. I could also sleep next to them on an inflatable bed (I didn't move from there for first 24 hours except to go to toilet :lol:) Mine decided it was playtime at 3 in the morning, so that was when scrapping was likely to occur...so can you hear them from where you are sleeping?

Humping is fine and perfectly normal :wave: if he is doing excessively though ie. Constantly you will need to keep lifting him off, as his boy bits can get sore! Also, if he humps her head you should stop him too as she might bite him in a very painful place! Does she seem ok with him humping her or is she getting cross? If all is well just carry on :wave: you shouldn't really leave them unsupervised so soon though in case something kicks off and somebun gets hurt. Stay with them as much as possible and sleep nearby so you wake up if there's a scuffle.

If you haven't got a suitable neutral space, then you could use a puppy pen on top of an old shower curtain covered in newspaper & bedding..that's how I bonded my quad. I just put cardboard around the inside of the puppy pen to keep the aubious and hay inside. I did mine in the middle of the living room, then just expanded the puppy panels slowly. I could also sleep next to them on an inflatable bed (I didn't move from there for first 24 hours except to go to toilet :lol:) Mine decided it was playtime at 3 in the morning, so that was when scrapping was likely to occur...so can you hear them from where you are sleeping?

So when I move them into the living room am I better off using a puppy pen. When will I know that they will be ok to free roam? I know it will take a while. Yes, my bedroom is right next to the bathroom and with my door open I can hear everything!

So when I move them into the living room am I better off using a puppy pen. When will I know that they will be ok to free roam? I know it will take a while. Yes, my bedroom is right next to the bathroom and with my door open I can hear everything!

Yes you will definitely need a pen for at least a few weeks. It isn't worth risking free roaming too early or you could ruin everything, just be patient and take it very slowly. How are they doing now? Have they lay down together or groomed each other at all? Or washed themselves?

Yes you will definitely need a pen for at least a few weeks. It isn't worth risking free roaming too early or you could ruin everything, just be patient and take it very slowly. How are they doing now? Have they lay down together or groomed each other at all? Or washed themselves?

Yes they started off by grooming themselves and flopping separately and I went in to check on them at 5:30am and they were laid together!! I'll definitely keep them in the bathroom until Sunday and if its going well then should I attempt to move them?

Does anyone else have any tips? I'm thinking of taking them out in the car now.

Last edited:
I would say that if they make it until Sunday without any scraps then you will be safe to let them in the room they are going to live in, or if you have a puppy pen bond them in that in the living room and then it won't be a big change for them when you let them free range.

Tbh, if you found them lying next to one another then it sounds very promising.

I would say that if they make it until Sunday without any scraps then you will be safe to let them in the room they are going to live in, or if you have a puppy pen bond them in that in the living room and then it won't be a big change for them when you let them free range.

Tbh, if you found them lying next to one another then it sounds very promising.

Just wondering how it's going? :wave:

Hi guys. I increased their area and things are still going great. There was no change in their behaviour. Bobby is still humping her though :? He's also pulling out fur as he does it. Will this stop over time? She's sooo scared of me though :( I was told she was very friendly so I wasn't expecting it! I can totally understand why she's scared though. I just can't get anywhere near her. Bobby hasn't been wandering around as much either so I'm feeling a bit unloved by my bunnies, especially because Bobs was so friendly.

Hi guys. I increased their area and things are still going great. There was no change in their behaviour. Bobby is still humping her though :? He's also pulling out fur as he does it. Will this stop over time? She's sooo scared of me though :( I was told she was very friendly so I wasn't expecting it! I can totally understand why she's scared though. I just can't get anywhere near her. Bobby hasn't been wandering around as much either so I'm feeling a bit unloved by my bunnies, especially because Bobs was so friendly.

the humping etc will subside over time aye :)
All sounds good, remember the dynamics of their world has changed so it will take time for them both to get used to their place in it now :) xx

Sounds like it's going well :wave: she's bound to be scared of you, you've brought her to a whole new place that she doesn't know, she can't chill out and get used to it because she's got another bunny humping her all the time, and she doesn't have a clue who you are or whether you're safe to be around! It's going to take a while. But don't worry I am sure she'll be fine once they've settled down together properly and she has a base to call her own x

Sounds like it's going well :wave: she's bound to be scared of you, you've brought her to a whole new place that she doesn't know, she can't chill out and get used to it because she's got another bunny humping her all the time, and she doesn't have a clue who you are or whether you're safe to be around! It's going to take a while. But don't worry I am sure she'll be fine once they've settled down together properly and she has a base to call her own x

Awwww I feel so sorry for her. Time is a healer I guess!

Back