• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay racks / Placement - ideas and inspiration

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys, in light of everything that's going on for us ATM, I am keeping myself busy as much as possible or I start thinking, which is all bad.

So...I've given myself a project that has needed doing since we moved in...my office.

I work from home so it's important to have a comfortable atmosphere to work in.

I have the bunnies in my office as a) they get loads of space 4m x 2.5m room, with just my desk taken out of it in one corner and b) I get to be with them, which helps me and I enjoy.

I've bought a new desk, painted the room completely and have ordered carpet which I will lay when it arrives Thursday.

One thing though is enrichment and environment. Hay is a big thing here as my two are on a very limited diet due to Ginger. They love tubes with hay etc which is good and I'd like to put up some racks around the room, only perhaps two, but they need to be made to work for it and it must be as safe as possible.

Can you please make suggestions, give ideas and I'd possible add a photo of your solution? Not too expensive I too, as I am saving for our baby as best as I can :)

Cheers in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond.

On The Rabbit Crossing webpage The Duchess has some ideas from things she's reused, old cd racks, bread bins, that kind of thing. Worth a look?

We use these - good for keeping hay off the floor!

60712_287304164715916_1269895332_n.jpg

You can get them from Manor Pet Housing on Facebook, they're very good. My husband made one as a carpentry project!

I fill small square cardboard boxes, pg tips and tissue in use at the mo. They are good as enclosed but buns can get access. Instff the boxes with hay, dried forage and some apple pieces. The boxes never stay put andvthe do enjoy themselves.treat ball are handy for this too and great in small areas!
I have wondered about the semi circular garden baskets, you could attach them to a wall easily, not sure on the possible mess though xx

I fill small square cardboard boxes, pg tips and tissue in use at the mo. They are good as enclosed but buns can get access. Instff the boxes with hay, dried forage and some apple pieces. The boxes never stay put andvthe do enjoy themselves.treat ball are handy for this too and great in small areas!
I have wondered about the semi circular garden baskets, you could attach them to a wall easily, not sure on the possible mess though xx

I've tried semi-circular wall baskets..but my buns don't touch the hay in them.. it has to be in their liiter tray! But I've found if I tie a bunch of oat, wheat & barley hay with a length of string and hang it so it's above their litter tray, they love reaching up for it ( and little bits drop into litter tray). I may try the tissue box one..

les&bev - where did you get those racks from, i like those as they have nice big holes for bunny mouths but not enough to get a head through!

ETA: Odd coincidence, i have family called les&bev! :shock:

Back