• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal?

Fred and Lils mum

Warren Scout
I had Lillie spayed last Friday and luckily she has been fine. When i picked her up from the vets they told me to ring in on Monday to let them know how she was doing. I asked about her going back for a check up as i have no idea how her tummy is healing as she dislikes being picked up and i dont want to risk hurting her to look and was told no need to take her back if she seems ok. Do you agree with this?

I know it sounds bad, but I really can't remember! Pleased that she appears to be recovering well.

Rosie went back after a week just for a quick check by the nurse to make sure her scar was healing and not infected and that her pain meds were at the right level.

Rosie went back after a week just for a quick check by the nurse to make sure her scar was healing and not infected and that her pain meds were at the right level.

Thats what i was expecting them to say but they didn't. They didn't even give me any pain meds for her.:?

I'm no expert by any means but I'm certain they should have pain medication as aftercare - Rosie had a weeks worth of metacam. I think I'd be tempted to look for another vet.

I would be changing Vets pronto !!

She most definitely should have a check up, especially if you are unable to monitor the wound yourself

The lack of post op' analgesia is so wrong. I'd like to see the Vet have abdominal surgery with no subsequent pain relief.

I'm no expert by any means but I'm certain they should have pain medication as aftercare - Rosie had a weeks worth of metacam. I think I'd be tempted to look for another vet.

I asked for them at the time and also rung up the next day for some pain meds as i had read on here that she have them but they wouldn't give me any. I am definately taking them elsewhere in the futue.:roll:

I would be changing Vets pronto !!

She most definitely should have a check up, especially if you are unable to monitor the wound yourself

The lack of post op' analgesia is so wrong. I'd like to see the Vet have abdominal surgery with no subsequent pain relief.

I know what you mean Jane....and sure enough am going to another vets in the future.

It is usually fine but that's not to say they shouldn't be checked. Maybe find a new vet and quiz them if the last vets did the right thing or if they would do anything different. If you get the answer you are expecting then you know you are in better hands.

Back