• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to use in the litter trays (again!)

Shula

Warren Scout
Hi there,

Sorry to add yet another of these threads, as I have looked through quite a lot that are already on the boards, but I still haven't found a solution to this.

I have been using megazorb covered by a layer of hay for my house bunnies' litter trays, but one of my buns has taken to digging in the trays, which means that the megazorb gets everywhere, and they then won't eat the 'messed up' hay, so a lot of it gets wasted. I am thinking of buying some better quality hay (e.g. from hayforpets) so was wondering if there was something I could use in the litter boxes that I wouldn't need to completely cover over with hay.

Ideally I would use carefresh, but can't afford it, and I don't read newspapers so don't have a ready supply of them to hand.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thank you

I use newspaper then fill the litter tray with Asda hay or hay from The Range, the a handful of hay for pets hay. The rest of the hay for pets hay goes in their hay rack :)

I use cheap hay in the litter tray because they obviously pee and poo in it but it still gets soaked up. Cleaning out every day and the cheap hay lasts a week :) it's about £4/5, they eat it but prefer h4p hay so that goes in the hay rack which gets emptied by them daily:) we do the same for the indoor rabbits.

I used to use wood based cat litter but because they have such a big litter tray now that gets cleaned out every day it wasn't as cost effective. I just buy a newspaper a week and my mom and dad save theirs for me.

Last edited:
i put newspaper on top of mine, have you got any friends who read papers that could give you them,when they are finished? ,hubbie gets his workmates to pop them in a pile at the end of the day and on a friday when he comes up,there is a stack of them for me :D

Two large litter trays - thick layer of newspaper (get lots from work) plus hay. I change them every day.

Can you hang the hay in a basket over the tray so they still have it there but it can't muddle together?

I use paperbased cat litter in mind - available from most supermarkets.

Thanks for all your thoughts - I've still got 3/4 of a bag of megazorb to get through, so I guess I've got some time to have a think :wave:

I was considering trying out aubiose: Chelle, can you (or any others!) tell me if it smells strongly? And could I use it without a layer of hay on top - just using a hay rack or whatever?

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Thanks for all your thoughts - I've still got 3/4 of a bag of megazorb to get through, so I guess I've got some time to have a think :wave:

I was considering trying out aubiose: Chelle, can you (or any others!) tell me if it smells strongly? And could I use it without a layer of hay on top - just using a hay rack or whatever?

Thanks folks!

:D i dont htink it smells of anything much really....its chopped up hemp. I use it in my litter trays with & without hay...so the answers yes....mine have a hay rack above their litter trays and they pull they hay out too...but aubiose is fine by itself....doesnt really smell of anything, and keeps their feet really dry;) Ive just bought another bag stocking up for winter:p

Thank you, that's really helpful!

I think I'll buy a bag and give it a test run - anything for a break from tiny bits of megazorb on my floor, in my socks, my hair etc! :lol:

Back