• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Video of Grimlock's breathing

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
He's really bad. :(
I'm giving him a week to see if the medicine has any effect, but after that I really don't know. :cry:

Please be warned, the videos are distressing. The first one has flash on so you can see how the sneezing affects his whole body. He is still very alert and inquisitive, but you can hear his snuffling and sneezing. The second video is very dark but it's more so you can just hear how bad he is.

Ooooh poor darling :cry: And I thought Boris had it bad, his snuffles are nothing compared to this. Sending tons of vibes for Grim xxx I really hope he improves soon

Aww those are hard to watch! I hope the meds work, ur amazing for keeping him going for aslong as you have, I don't think most people would have the strength to do that!!

hugs xxx

Poor little feller:cry: It must be so hard for you watching him go through it:cry: I have no experience of nursing bunnies but I have nursed a few dogs and I know how hard that is battling to keep them clean, medicated and constantly questioning yourself:cry: I hope the meds have a positive effect on him this week:thumb:

Oh Jenova... ((((((((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))))))
Poor bub. :( I will keep you both in my prayers for healing this week. I'd love nothing more than to see Grim breathing easy again.
He's sure an active bun though despite it all. Whenever Mimzy had nasal issues he'd just puddle and look miserable...and sneeze. :(
Bless xx

Oh poor Grim, he's absolutely incredible how he keeps going; and so are you for the way you've cared for him all these years.
Big ((((Hugs)))) & gentle nose rubs to Grim.
Everything crossed for him.
Please keep us updated.

:cry:

I really hope the medication can help. Are all his sinus/eye problems secondary to Dental Disease ?

Thank you all for your kind words. Grim had always been happy but now I don't think he is. He is still fighting though.

Jane he's always been prone to eye infections due to his tooth roots blocking his tear ducts. I could usually keep on top of them but now I think the nasal infection has spread there because I just can't get rid of them. He's had eye infections on and off since he was about a year old a well as some ulcers. He's now completely blind. :( So I think the answer to your question is yes.

oh my goodness :cry: this has got me in floods of tears. :cry: poor little bunny. i hope you can find a way to improve this for him. have you tried genticin yet? it's very strong that you have to use it week on week off, but it's good stuff. you can use something else the other week and then add genticin to the mix for a week etc. i don't know what it can be used with though as we used it with parvolex which is no longer available. might be another option to try. also, amikacin is supposed to be strong aswell. hugs for you both xxx

oh my goodness :cry: this has got me in floods of tears. :cry: poor little bunny. i hope you can find a way to improve this for him. have you tried genticin yet? it's very strong that you have to use it week on week off, but it's good stuff. you can use something else the other week and then add genticin to the mix for a week etc. i don't know what it can be used with though as we used it with parvolex which is no longer available. might be another option to try. also, amikacin is supposed to be strong aswell. hugs for you both xxx

I haven't, how is it administered?

I haven't, how is it administered?

it's nebulised with the saline. 1ml genticin and 9ml saline. our vet uses it for bad cases where none of the 'usuals' have worked. so it might be worth a try. at first matt needed it week on week off, but over time this became longer and longer. now he does 4-6 weeks between courses, although you can stay at the week on week off but it is better to leave aslong as possible between courses due to the strength of it.

we used to mix it with parvolex but i don't know what else it can be used with. when that became unavailable the vet said we can try amikacin if just saline and genticin don't work aswell for matt. he has had amikacin before though which didn't work but it might work better nebulised.

genticin is apparantly used more in reptiles but can be used for bunnies aswell when nothing else seems to be working. jaysmonkeys lola had that combo aswell i think. x

eta: matt has it nebulised twice a day for 30mins for the week. he sounds awful as the mucus moves down the nose but it does clear alot out. x

eta: the vet also recommended to let them outside aslong as it wasn't raining or snowing etc. we let them out a couple of times a day for a short time, sometimes only 5mins but matt sneezes alot of mucus out when the air goes up his nose.

Last edited:
Back