• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grunting crying squeaking

:cry:
Dora my 5 and a half month old lion lop has been spayed today... As if I didn't feel bad enough she is now grunting crying squeaking:cry::cry:
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Is she just crying in pain?

Hi welcome to the forum
Did your vet not give your bun some pain relief, it sounds like she is in pain.

To be honest I don't know I've been through the paper work & I can't find anything to say she has had any. Sounds like the anasthetic has worn off & now she's hurting.
But there's no one answering the phone. Its not my regular vets had vouchers for her & my male to be nuetured & my vets don't take them. :(

You really need to see a vet, have you tried an emergency vet? It is really important to get her some pain relief. Whereabouts are you?

She needs pain relief - otherwise if she is in pain she will not eat and the whole situation will escalate.

Keep trying to contact someone.

Poor girlie. She definitely needs some pain relief if she hasn't had any. Could you maybe contact your regular vets? If you take all the paper work then hopefully they will be able to work out if she has or hasn't.

Dora was given pain relief! Finallly got through to the vets, said if she's still in pain tommorow to pop her back up there for a top up. She has eaten & drunk a little. Which is a good sign.
I'm Sleeping on the sofa tonite! To keep an eye & a ear out.. Her Boyfriend Diego, seems totally fine! Why do men always have it easy?!!!!

Glad it's been sorted :love:

:lol: Our boys were fine the day after but both of the girls were a bit iffy :( Lola was bitey for a few days and Poppy opened her wound :roll:

Glad it's been sorted :love:

:lol: Our boys were fine the day after but both of the girls were a bit iffy :( Lola was bitey for a few days and Poppy opened her wound :roll:

I know its early days especially as she's so poorly but how long do u think before they can be re bonded?.. She's in an indoor cage he's got run of the kitchen!! Will put him back in their hutch tommorow.. But he's gonna miss her!! He's such a big softie!! :love:

Glad she has had some pain relief, however that will be gone by 24hours after it was given I believe, as rabbits metabolise drugs so quickly, so she will need more to have at home tomorrow. It is very unusual for a rabbit to make noises like crying and squeaking even when in large amounts of pain, as because they are prey animals they naturally keep any weakness hidden to prevent being seen as an easy meal.

Can they not see each other then, or get to each other? Personally I would not want to split a bond up for a spay, and having him there should make her less stressed and aid her getting better. Have them separated by bars if you must, but they should be able to see each other and go up to the bars and sniff each other. Being split from their bonded partner is very stressful for rabbits, and may also cause him to dominate her when they meet again, which could really hurt her when she is recovering from the spay.

Glad she has had some pain relief, however that will be gone by 24hours after it was given I believe, as rabbits metabolise drugs so quickly, so she will need more to have at home tomorrow. It is very unusual for a rabbit to make noises like crying and squeaking even when in large amounts of pain, as because they are prey animals they naturally keep any weakness hidden to prevent being seen as an easy meal.

I've never heard a bunny make such a noise and I've had bunnys since I was a little girl...(A long time ago)! That's why I was so worried..am worried still.

Can they not see each other then, or get to each other? Personally I would not want to split a bond up for a spay, and having him there should make her less stressed and aid her getting better. Have them separated by bars if you must, but they should be able to see each other and go up to the bars and sniff each other. Being split from their bonded partner is very stressful for rabbits, and may also cause him to dominate her when they meet again, which could really hurt he

They were in the indoor cage together but beccuase she was distressed I've let him have run of the kitchen, so can see each other through the bars, I didn't want him to hurt her or the other way round. I didn't think I should put them back in the hutch outside together tommorow if she's distressed. Some ppl have said to wait a week before reuniting them. I don't want them seperated. But don't know what to do for the best.

They were in the indoor cage together but beccuase she was distressed I've let him have run of the kitchen, so can see each other through the bars, I didn't want him to hurt her or the other way round. I didn't think I should put them back in the hutch outside together tommorow if she's distressed. Some ppl have said to wait a week before reuniting them. I don't want them seperated. But don't know what to do for the best.

I'd leave it as it is now until she is a bit better, personally. They can see and sniff each other through bars, so thats good and will help to relieve the stress somewhat.

Just wanted to wish your bunny well on her recovery :) If you can, get her a snugglesafe or something similar. They're pet-safe heat packs and I'm told bunnies love them after their spays as the warmth helps to soothe the pains a bit :)

Back