• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old bunny advice

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice / reassurance. I know that I am a worry wart and flap at out poor vet for the smallest thing but Iggy now he is getting older (he is 8) recently I think he has lost some weight and is sleeping in the cage a lot. He does have arthritis and it has been colder recently too but I worry.

Is it just that he is getting older that he has lost weight and doesnt seem as happy? Can I do anything to cheer him up?

Also Does anyone have any tips on feeding him up a bit while monitoring Betty bunny's intake for food so she doesnt get any fatter (she is rather rotund and on a diet)?

He is still eating but seems down since Perdy died earlier this year. He now has a new friend he gets on well with but isnt racing round like he used to.

We are booked to go the vets on monday anyway and on recent trip for jabs etc he was in good health and no issues. The weight loss has been over the last year so its not fast loss or anything.

:wave:
Hi,
I can't give you any advice really as I am so new to keeping rabbits, however just wanted to say that your bunny is really lucky you keep such a close eye on him, Hopefully your vet will be able to reassure you. Prob be able to weigh him too.
Kate x

:wave:
Hi,
I can't give you any advice really as I am so new to keeping rabbits, however just wanted to say that your bunny is really lucky you keep such a close eye on him, Hopefully your vet will be able to reassure you. Prob be able to weigh him too.
Kate x

Fanks :wave:

Julie is 8 years old and is a large breed so definitely an elderly bun. You might ask the vet for an elderly bun check up. That is what they did for Julie recently. She has arthritis in her hips and needed a dental. She has never been a dental bun. The vet said her teeth shifted with age. She too has lost weight gradually. The vet said from her age.We give her a few oats to help with weight lost.
We also are experimenting with some alternative medicine ideas along with her metacam that she was put on for arthritis.
If you like to read about what we are doing for her. This is the thread.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?356775-Julie-s-arthris

Could you give Betty a fuss while he is eating his extra? Maybe put a snuggle safe in to keep him warm.

Thank you all, I spoke to the vet today and she said to keep a log for a couple of weeks of his weight. He has lost 0.3kg. Is still eating etc etc just generally a bit quieter since Perdy went. We are going to try to feed him in the hall and I brought some forage stuff to see if that helps a bit. Betty on the other hand is 0.3kg over weight!! We prefer rotund but she is now on a plump bunny diet! (she came to us overweight a month ago but I think all the new rabbit treats have done little for her small frame).
I think we shall try oats to keep his weight up too. Thank you for the suggestion! :D

He isnt on any pain relief for his arthritis at the moment as last time we saw the vets he didnt need it. I shall ask the vets when we go back what she thinks. I swear our poor vet getting fed up with me calling up all the time for advice!! She really is very patient! :lol:

Back