• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I have rabbits indoor and outdoor?

Ch3rrie

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We are getting our rabbit tomorrow. She is an unwanted rabbit so we have taken her in.
She is an outdoor rabbit but my friend has bought her into her home (it was her neighbours rabbit) for the night.
I would really really love to have her in the home at night and outside in the day.
Only reason for her being outside in the day is because we have 2 young children and 2 cats and the house is small but the garden is great for her to run about.
I was thinking of getting the cages you can transport dogs in for her to be in when she is in the house. There is a reason for this! As we have a small house and 2 young children, I can't have a pen with lino down permanently as I can't clean her in the morning, feed and dress the kids and then feed the cats easily. My son is autistic and would love to play with the rabbit mess which isn't something I'd like to risk either! So I thought a cage would be better as I can lift everything at once, put the rabbit outside and clean the cage in the day for the evening.
Would that be ok?

Not in winter, no. When it's cold out they need to be either indoors or outdoors. If they constantly face temperature changes they won't develop the correct coat for the season and it will be cruel to subject them to the sudden change. Outdoor rabbits can cope with low temperatures but it always happens gradually.

I'm not sure but seeing as it is getting colder now, the temperature change might get a bit much for them. ;) probably better I get a second opinion from someone else on here!

No you can't, it's a recipe for snuffles. Trust me, I learnt the hard way.

It sounds to me you'd be best off getting a shed or similar for outside with an attached run or aviary and getting her a friend and having a pair of outdoor rabbits. The beauty of a shed is that you can more easily spend time with them. If she's been indoors for quite a while though you'd need to wait until it warms up in spring.

I am afraid it is either in or out. Too much drastic temperature change can cause health problems with rabbits.

How old is this rabbit? If she is still a baby she wouldn't have time to grow a winter coat and it will be best to keep her indoors until Spring comes. If she has already been through a winter then she should be fine and used to it already.

This is the horrible thing.. I don't know how old she is. My friends neighbour really doesn't care about her and has told my friend nothing! I saw a photo though and she does look young. But she has been spending all her time outside in my friends garden with no bedding to keep her warm. I doubt she had near enough food either.

I'm going to keep her inside tonight as she isn't being dropped off until after dark and then tomorrow put her outside and see how she does. I'll be ringing the vets on Monday to get her checked and hopefully he can tell if she has been spayed and estimate her age.

If we have to keep her inside, we will find room. I could probably move my clothes draws and put her in our bedroom as downstairs it is so hectic most of the time. She just won't have as much freedom inside as outside and I am sure she'd prefer the outside freedom more.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Poor thing with no bedding to keep her warm. Especially with how the weather has been this year :(

As the other have said, its not a good idea... we bring rupert and tia inside for 3 hours in the evening (tia is very nervous and hates slight wind, noise, etc) but we do not have the heating on, and have a window open in the back bedroom (yes, we freeze but its so worth it).

It sounds to me that your new bunny would be better outside. You could get her a little friend eventually for company. The vet won't be able to tell you exactly how old she is as it's impossible once they are over a year. I doubt also he will be able to tell you if she has been spayed; I would doubt the kind of owners you describe would have bothered. Let us know how it goes.

find a bunny savvy vet to take her to (search on here for one that is recommended, thats your best bet) and get an assessment of age, general health, if spayed etc. You will need to take her for vacs soon anyway, doesnt sound like she is likely to have been vacinnated before.

yes more freedom is better but I personally would not like to have a single outdoor bun as I would not be able to spend much time with them, definately in winter, they are soooo much happier with a friend. I have come to realise this, seeing my outdoor pair groom each other etc, its lovely and I would never be able to replace that myself (indoor bun, a different story although he is still on his own during the day and at night).

Back