• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bandana and Polka's Pedigrees!

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
Bandana's:
bandanaped.png

Polka's:
PolkaPed.png

Do you have a record of more than 3 generations back. Breeders should know further than 5, and all should be free from health problems. There's a lot of inbreeding going on, including between Bandana and Polka sharing the same dad/grandparents. (Bandana has the same grandfather/ great grandparents on both parents sides)
Were you planning on breeding them? I'd seriously reconsider if the answer is yes. :)

Do you have a record of more than 3 generations back. Breeders should know further than 5, and all should be free from health problems. There's a lot of inbreeding going on, including between Bandana and Polka sharing the same dad/grandparents. (Bandana has the same grandfather/ great grandparents on both parents sides)
Were you planning on breeding them? I'd seriously reconsider if the answer is yes. :)

She knows farther back than that, but that's all thats on the Ped. And it's called line breeding. Its okay as long as full siblings aren't being bred together. I haven't decided if I'm going to breed them yet.

Line breeding is a questionable action in breeding. Essentially it's just inbreeding but rather than sibling to sibling you're breeding mother to sin or father to daughter. Your buns are half siblings, so to breed then it wouldn't be line breeding.

Inbreeding can cause devestating problems and shouldn't be taken lightly just because it's called something different.

Please be careful. I'm not against responsible breeding but can't condone inbreeding as its just not healthy for the kits. It wouldn't be any healthier for me to breed with my father than my brother. It's no different for animals.

I've seen pictures of Polka and Bandana previously and they're very pretty buns!!

Good to see records are being kept :) , With the line breeding, personally I think breeding two related rabbits with no underlying health problems or genetic issues will give you much healthier babies than breeding two unrelated rabbits with an unknown background, so inbred rabbits can be healthier, the same, or unhealthier than non-inbred rabbits, it completely depends on what they're hiding and how well the rabbits and their backgrounds are known

Line breeding is a questionable action in breeding. Essentially it's just inbreeding but rather than sibling to sibling you're breeding mother to sin or father to daughter. Your buns are half siblings, so to breed then it wouldn't be line breeding.

Inbreeding can cause devestating problems and shouldn't be taken lightly just because it's called something different.

Please be careful. I'm not against responsible breeding but can't condone inbreeding as its just not healthy for the kits. It wouldn't be any healthier for me to breed with my father than my brother. It's no different for animals.

I've seen pictures of Polka and Bandana previously and they're very pretty buns!!

If I do decide to breed then the buck will be completely unrelated to the girls. But I haven't even decided to yet. I know I'm going to show Polka, but haven't decided if I'm going to breed them. I was at first, but I'm not sure anymore. And thank you! They are gorgeous! And they know it, they are divas. Lol

I don't want this to sound as if I'm trying to clear you off the forum :oops: but RU is quite against breeding and showing and I doubt anyone on here knows much about the American showing system, there's a really popular forum called Rabbits Online that's more American based and they have completely different sections for rescue people and breeders/showers, so yeah I'd check that out if you haven't already :) People here can be really unfriendly and unhelpful towards breeders/exhibitors

I don't want this to sound as if I'm trying to clear you off the forum :oops: but RU is quite against breeding and showing and I doubt anyone on here knows much about the American showing system, there's a really popular forum called Rabbits Online that's more American based and they have completely different sections for rescue people and breeders/showers, so yeah I'd check that out if you haven't already :) People here can be really unfriendly and unhelpful towards breeders/exhibitors

Oh yea, I know, a lot of people on here have already been quite rude to me. But I can promise you, my rabbits are very well taken care of. They're pets first, and show/breeding animals second/third. I went to the show this year, the rabbits were in nice cages, fed and watered properly and some were even let out to play. The judge was gentle with them, yes she had to handle them a bit, but she was gentle. My girls are used to being handled how a judge would, the breeder made sure of that. Do you have the link to the other site?

Oh yea, I know, a lot of people on here have already been quite rude to me. But I can promise you, my rabbits are very well taken care of. They're pets first, and show/breeding animals second/third. I went to the show this year, the rabbits were in nice cages, fed and watered properly and some were even let out to play. The judge was gentle with them, yes she had to handle them a bit, but she was gentle. My girls are used to being handled how a judge would, the breeder made sure of that. Do you have the link to the other site?

I asked a lot about showing/breeding when I first joined so I know what its like, but I still stayed on and my views changed slightly and now its my main forum. I don't think anyone's doubting the health and happiness of your rabbits, it's just breeding is a very sensitive issue on here and showing is frowned upon too. Here's the link - http://rabbitsonline.net/ I think it's very active, although there don't tend to be loads of replies in the show section because the same questions are posted over and over again :lol:

If I do decide to breed then the buck will be completely unrelated to the girls. But I haven't even decided to yet. I know I'm going to show Polka, but haven't decided if I'm going to breed them. I was at first, but I'm not sure anymore. And thank you! They are gorgeous! And they know it, they are divas. Lol

Ah! I thought they were different sexes. (No idea why I assumed that!)

I have absolutely nothing against responsible breeding and from what I've seen from you, you're one of them. Line breeding is a controversial topic, is all.

If more breeders were on RU then I think there'd be more responsible breeding.

Ah! I thought they were different sexes. (No idea why I assumed that!)

I have absolutely nothing against responsible breeding and from what I've seen from you, you're one of them. Line breeding is a controversial topic, is all.

If more breeders were on RU then I think there'd be more responsible breeding.

Originally I was going to get a buck and a doe, but I fell in love with these two through the pictures and decided on two females atm. Thank you, I try to be a responsible breeder (when/if I do breed them). Line breeding is popular here for show animals. It's not as dangerous as people might think, if you do it right, and the woman I got the rabbits from does it exteremely right.

It seems a lot of breeders might have tried out this site and gotten chased off.

I don't think you're being entirely fair. Surely you can see how insensitive it seems for you to join a website where everyone has PET rabbits when you are only keeping MEAT rabbits? I'm not suggesting you have no right to be here, I just think you may be on the wrong forum for your needs. You need people who can give you impartial advice, not people who are going to become upset every time you explain what you do.

I am surprised you say this because you breed your rabbits, give them names and then kill them and eat them

courtneydayle, i may have said this before but if I havent I REALLY ADMIRE YOU! I wouldn't be able to stay on a forum like this to be honest, because so many people criticize you for the fact that you own meat rabbits. Polka and Bandana are beautiful and if you do breed from them I'm sure they will have VERY cute bebes! I don't have a problem with you using rabbits for meat personally because they look really well cared for and I can see that you love them. I imagine it is hard for you, loving the meat buns and knowing they're just for meat, but I do honestly think it is lovely how you adore Polka and Bandana! I do really admire you, well done you! :love:

courtneydayle, i may have said this before but if I havent I REALLY ADMIRE YOU! I wouldn't be able to stay on a forum like this to be honest, because so many people criticize you for the fact that you own meat rabbits. Polka and Bandana are beautiful and if you do breed from them I'm sure they will have VERY cute bebes! I don't have a problem with you using rabbits for meat personally because they look really well cared for and I can see that you love them. I imagine it is hard for you, loving the meat buns and knowing they're just for meat, but I do honestly think it is lovely how you adore Polka and Bandana! I do really admire you, well done you! :love:

Thank you. I'm not even going to dignify the others with an answer. Thank you.

Thank you. I'm not even going to dignify the others with an answer. Thank you.
Not replying is fine but I don't see why you had to say this, this is just antagonising. My personal opinion on what you do with your rabbits is irrelevant; I was merely suggesting something that may be more suited to your needs.

Not replying is fine but I don't see why you had to say this, this is just antagonising.

It's probably because every time the OP posts, the conversation always comes around to her meat rabbits and it's already been 'done to death' in other threads.

As far as I know the OP also has pet rabbits (and perhaps these two are if she wants to breed and show them?) so could we all please not turn this one into yet another discussion about meat rabbits.

It's probably because every time the OP posts, the conversation always comes around to her meat rabbits and it's already been 'done to death' in other threads.

As far as I know the OP also has pet rabbits (and perhaps these two are if she wants to breed and show them?) so could we all please not turn this one into yet another discussion about meat rabbits.

Thank you KarenM. My two mini rexes are my pets. I'm going to show Polka, but I haven't decided if I'm going to breed them. They are my pets, more than pets really. They're spoiled rotten... They're my babies.

Back