• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead and angora??

emily..

Warren Scout
Princess is a lionhead, and I want to get her a new friend :D and I was wondering if a female english angora would bond with her?:)

As advised to you on your other thread, breed, age and size are irrelevant in bonding rabbits. As stated above, what matters is that the rabbits get along. You need to choose a second rabbit based on this or you could end up with two buns who have to be kept seperate or you having to rehome one, and/or vet bills from fighting.

It can be a tricky business there is just no way to tell. Sometimes rabbits will meet, sniff each other and then be instantly in love and best friends for life, other times they become sworn enemies for no apparent reason.
If you go to a local rescue they will usually help you with this process and try a few different rabbits to see which one your existing bunny gets along with. This also comes with the added bonus the bun will already be vaccinated and neutered.

Wanting a particular breed/size/ age is really about your wants and not what is best for your bunny. If you haven't bonded before and want to choose a bunny based on looks or not from a rescue then you need to do lots of research on bonding and ideally have an experienced person lined up who will be able to help you.

Also, princess will ideally need neutering first if she isn't already. This is not just to prevent pregnancy but also will reduce hormones and terrotorial behaviour that may cause fighting and also prevent uterine cancer which she will have an 80% chance of getting if you leave her intact.

I realise you are young and that is comes down to your parents as to whether they will get her neutered but getting another girl isn't a good solution, two unneutered girls are likely to fight and cost money in vet bills.

Last edited:
Firstly you will need to get Princess spayed. After waiting a few weeks, maybe longer, you can find a little boy for her to be bonded with. Boy/girl bonds are usually the easiest. The boy would already be neutered if you get him from a Rescue otherwise you would have to have him neutered before putting them together. Angoras need a lot of grooming, every day, so bear that in mind if you're set on that breed!

Ok, if I was to get a male rabbit from the rescue centre , and he is already spayed, would I have to get Princess spayed or not?

Princess has an 80% chance getting uterine cancer by time she is three if she is not spayed. If she is spayed she should live 10 years.

Sometimes unneutered does will live with a neutered buck but I don't think a rescue would rehome to you if you have an unspayed doe- because it shows your household (who ever makes the decisions about the vet treatments) is not being responsible and doing the best thing for the rabbit you already have.

Ok, if I was to get a male rabbit from the rescue centre , and he is already spayed, would I have to get Princess spayed or not?

Yes, to prevent uterine cancer and to prevent them from fighting. Unneutered females have a tendancy to bully neutered males because of their hormones.

Back