• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas (little *******)

Limarie

Warren Scout
Hi all!

How old does Flo have to be before I can use flea stuff on her also, what's the best stuff to use? Sherlock has been really nice and shared his friends with her. I can't seem to get rid of the *******, poor Sherlock has had a right summer! What cat flea spot on do you all use?

Cheers!

Hi all!

How old does Flo have to be before I can use flea stuff on her also, what's the best stuff to use? Sherlock has been really nice and shared his friends with her. I can't seem to get rid of the *******, poor Sherlock has had a right summer! What cat flea spot on do you all use?

Cheers!

For my cats I use Frontline.

I wouldn't use it on rabbits though.

I've never experienced fleas on rabbits - but think I would ask vet what is appropriate.

Hi all!

Cheers!

Used Frontline for years on our dog and it has always been totally effective. But the last couple of times I have used it - zero effect. Not working at all now. Does anyone know if the fleas are building up immunity to it or something?

My friend had a massive problem with cat fleas after getting a new kitten and the only thing that worked was going and shelling out for the expensive stuff at the vets. Frontline, Beaphar and Bob Martin all did nothing other than reduce the numbers for a few days. You also need to get loads of the spray/ shake and vac stuff and do the whole house at once, then repeat after a week. The spray in general only stops the eggs from hatching for 6 months, but the eggs can stay in the environment for a couple of years so you need to do the whole house every 6 months really to be sure they don't come back.

My vet told me cat flea's can't live on rabbits, they just kind of hide on them until they can jump back on the cat host. If everything else is treated the rabbits shouldn't be affected after a few days because the fleas will die off if they can't get back on the cat to feed. If the cat had managed to carry in some of the fleas that can live on rabbits I would defo see a vet for special rabbit flea stuff, don't use cat stuff on them.

Please do not use frontline on rabbits it kills them!

Advantage is the only safe flee treatment for rabbits and is now available online at places like vetuk without the need for prescription

Rabbitis don't harbour fleas usually so you need to find out where they are coming from or what is bringing them back and treat that animal and the environment. You shouldn't need to treat the rabbit. If this doesn't work then you will have to ask yur vet, although as Hugo's There said Advantage is the one.

Fleas are a :censored: nightmare this year!! apparently its due to the weather

we are having to spray rooms and constantly vaccuming and combing etc! think the worst of the season is over!!

I had to treat my bunnies (indoors), the cats and the house.Twice.
Blasted Fleakies!!:evil::evil:

Thanks guys! I wouldn't use cat stuff on a rabbit anyway (bad move!) I'm quite glad to hear that they don't feed on rabbits but poor old Sherlock! I'll spray the house again and see if that'll finally shift them, thank god the flea season is coming to an end! I really couldn't take anymore of the :censored: things and nor could Sherlock!

Back