• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

calcified stuff in abdomen?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Honey wasn't looking great today and wasn't eating so my mum took her to the **** vet school as I was at school. When she arrived there Honey was shivering, in shock and had a very low temperature. They managed to get her warmed up and she's eating hay now and has had a conscious X-ray done as they were worried about how prone to gut stasis she is.

Apparently there's lots of food in her stomach but no gas and they're waiting on her to poop just now. However on doing the X-ray they noticed a few small calcified masses in her abdomen and I was wondering if anyone knew what it might be? They apparently suggested something to do with the reproductive tract but as she's been spayed its maybe unlikely. They also said it might be something to do with her water works and would like to do an ultrasound scan when she's feeling better.

Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar?

Hmmm could this have anything to do with Honey's inability to lose weight? She got home on Fridy and seems bright though we've noticed that one of them is drinking a lot of water.

Hmmm could this have anything to do with Honey's inability to lose weight? She got home on Fridy and seems bright though we've noticed that one of them is drinking a lot of water.

Not sure about the weight issue, but drinking a lot of water is a frequent symptom with uroliths.

She's going back for an ultrasound this week so hopefully they can determine what it is. I guess even if it's been causing her pain it might explain why she has frequent bouts of stasis. Our old vet would simply have been happy prescribing pain meds and gut stimulants to paper over the cracks. They never suggested any kind of investigation. :cry:

Soon as she was taken in to the vet school she was put on fluids and given a conscious X-ray immediately to rule out a blockage. Makes me wonder if Roly would have survived if he'd been given the correct treatment as promptly as Honey was this time. :(

Erin has calcified areas showing up in her abdomen on x-ray. Hers are round the area of her bladder and where her uterus was removed. In Erin's case a *probable* diagnosis of surgical adhesions has been made. This potentially makes her intestines/bladder function less well than they should and *could* be the reason for her frequent stasis.

Soon as she was taken in to the vet school she was put on fluids and given a conscious X-ray immediately to rule out a blockage. Makes me wonder if Roly would have survived if he'd been given the correct treatment as promptly as Honey was this time. :(

My vets also do conscious x-ray pretty much straight after admission if there is anything on examination that suggests there could be a blockage.

Honey's had an ultrasound today to try to determine what's wrong with her.

Apparently the masses are nothing to do with the uterus or kidneys and the vet isn't worried about it. I didn't really catch much of what was said over the phone to be honest and I've to speak to the vet tomorrow when I collect the pair of them.

Really not sure what to think, it looks like the ultrasound hasn't really helped to determine what the masses are. The vet just wants to monitor her for now and isn't suggesting surgery or anything. Could they be fatty lumps at all and they were mistaken for calcified lumps?

Back