• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8 year old bun not eating as much

tobyjones

Young Bun
This is a continuation of a post I started a couple of weeks ago.
I have an 8 year old House Rabbit, who has been off his food for the nearly 4 weeks.

He has been very prone to GI Stasis throughout his life but the vet (who has over 40 years experience, so I do trust her diagnosis) has said it isn’t this this time and that there is nothing obviously wrong with him, like GI Stasis, dental problems, arthritis etc.

He has been given a few gut stimulant and vitamin B5 injections, and one steroid injection, due to some muscle lose.
She has put it down to him getting old and fussy with his food.

He is still eating carrots and Timothy hay, but has gone off his nuggets and parsley.

He is also still hopping around, obviously not a massive amount considering his age.

Although he is probably not getting any worse I am concerned that he will stop eating completely.
He has been on Bio lapis for nearly 4 weeks so his gut is getting what it needs with the lack of food he is consuming.

Has anyone seen this before, and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a full blood profile to check liver/kidney function and to see if there is any evidence of inflammation and/or infection going on.

Also, it is rarely possible to be 100% certain that a Rabbit's teeth are all OK whilst said Rabbit is conscious. Older Rabbits can develop molar problems even if they have had no previous history of Dental issues.

Has the Vet ruled out a cecal impaction ? Another problem that older Rabbits can develop, especially if they have always been prone to 'sluggish guts'. Cecal impaction is insidious in onset, often symptoms can mimic those associated with Dental problems.

What is your Rabbit's water intake like ?

I would suggest a full blood profile to check liver/kidney function and to see if there is any evidence of inflammation and/or infection going on.

Also, it is rarely possible to be 100% certain that a Rabbit's teeth are all OK whilst said Rabbit is conscious. Older Rabbits can develop molar problems even if they have had no previous history of Dental issues.

Has the Vet ruled out a cecal impaction ? Another problem that older Rabbits can develop, especially if they have always been prone to 'sluggish guts'. Cecal impaction is insidious in onset, often symptoms can mimic those associated with Dental problems.

What is your Rabbit's water intake like ?

His water intake has gone down, he was a big drinker before though, but he had his urine tested in the past for kidney function and that was ok.

She said his stomach felt normal, that is as far as i know on the cecal impaction front.
And he had had his teeth only whilst conscious.

Does he have a water bowl or a sipper bottle? Reduced appetite can occur if a Rabbit is not drinking. To encourage him to drink more I would offer him his water from a bowl if you are not already doing so. Also, Rabbits with Dental issues sometimes become reluctant to use a sipper bottle...................

Does he have a water bowl or a sipper bottle? Reduced appetite can occur if a Rabbit is not drinking. To encourage him to drink more I would offer him his water from a bowl if you are not already doing so. Also, Rabbits with Dental issues sometimes become reluctant to use a sipper bottle...................

He uses a bowl, and although he is drinking less his hydration levels were fine according to the Vet.
I have asked the Vet to ring me to tonight so i can discuss the possibility of dental problems again.
Thanks for your advice Jack's Jane.

Back