• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in very small places?

Vita

Mama Doe
eg small one-bed / studio flat, very small bungalow.

Does anyone have one? How do you manage to house the rabbit without its stuff taking over your life / it destroying everything? And do you have to clean out every day so it doesn't smell?

i'm not actually in that position but there are four rabbits in my house so this is my guess:

if i had a studio flat plus buns, i'd have to set up the whole place to be rabbit proof. all walls would have to be protected, and carpets, etc. anywhere they might strip (wallpaper), dig, make a latrine, etc.
i'd limit hay to eating hay in a particular area and use fleeces for bedding. i'd use megazorb for litter trays as it keeps the smell down, but they, and hay would have to be changed regularly.

any wires etc would have to be protected by tubing.

what have i missed?

My rabbits live with me in a 2 bedroom maisonette. They stay in my room when I am not home and have the run of my room, landing and bathroom when I am about. They seem quite happy with this arrangement and run at full pelt along the landing any chance they get. Haha

Last edited:
Mine have free range of 1 room each at the moment and there more than happy as long as theres lots of toys and tunnels for them!
1 of them has free range of our main living space which I guess would be the same if we lived in a studio/maisonette.
He has a dog crate in the corner with a big tray full of hay so it doesn't go everywhere! A litter tray which we change every day/ twice a day sometimes, I use carefresh which absorbs quite a lot and because we do that we've never had a problem with the smell!
We also keep the window ajar all the time and keep the radiators off or on low.
EVERYTHING is rabbit proofed! No cables to nibble on and anything we care about getting chewed we have moved to Somewhere else or got rid of!

We had a one bedroom flat when we were at uni and Buckley free ranged in the living room. Kept his hay and megazorb down the side of our wardrobe. It doesn't smell any more or less than housing a rabbit in a four bedroom house (which is our current situation). If anything it was a bit easier to house a rabbit in a flat!

Back