• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flies . . . . . Deterrent suggestions

I've just ordered a couple of citronella pouches from Kermit- see Fundraising thread. Also, going to look for some sticky tape stuff. Not sure how effective it would be but I saw some in the £ shop last week so prob worth a try.

Daily or even twice daily cleaning

I find citronella very effective at keeping them away too but nothing beats a clean bunny

I use sticky fly tape but only really helps the ones inside, pure citronella from the chemist :thumb:

oh and we clean out once maybe twice a day, have fans going whatever the weather (unless obviously cold) but we still get flies

Daily or even twice daily cleaning

I find citronella very effective at keeping them away too but nothing beats a clean bunny

This ^^^^

Mine are indoors but I have my balcony doors open alot as its so hot here at the moment. Flies are a big problem in Chamonix tgis summer, something to do with the weather conditions, and theyre driving me CRAZY! I find spraying some citronella oil on the window frames really helps, although my whole house ends up smelling of it!

Thank you everyone, he is pretty clean but they are on his back :evil: but my cat was in his run catching a few.

Off to the fundraising page now :thumb:

Most important is to ensure there is nothing attracting them, so regular cleaning to ensure that poop and wee isn't attracting them, use litter trays if possible so that it is easier to clean thoroughly and so that nothing gets stuck in nooks and crannies to attract flies. Is your bunny clean and dry? I would be incredibly concerned if the flies are seemingly attracted by your bunny directly, does he have a clean, dry bum, dry eyes etc? Or are the flies just buzzing around generally?

I recently bought one of these http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...in-case-anyone-is-interested.&highlight=Flies and it is working incredibly well at keeping fly numbers down, so that might also be worth a go, but most important is to make sure that bunny and his surroundings are kept clean and dry.

Edit:just seen you say they're on his back :shock:I would be really very concerned about this as normally flies are only attracted to unwell bunnies or bunnies who are not moving sufficiently to disturb them. If this is a new thing I would be taking him straight up to the vets for a check over, he could have some kind of underlying illness which is causing a change in smell so attracting them to him. Your vet may also suggest putting some rearguard or similar on him, as that way if the flies do lay any eggs on his back, at least they will be killed. Not ideal, but perhaps better than nothing in the circumstances. Good luck x

Last edited:
Thank you Santa. Button is indeed not well he's been in and out of the vets regularly over the last few weeks due to stasis, weight loss, conjunctivitis, snuffles and generally being unwell. Keeping a very close eye on him and will get some rear guard as well.

Back