• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after dental- help please!!

lilgems91

Mama Doe
I got Ben home at 6pm and since then he hasnt eaten anything since his dental earlier this afternoon.

I have soaked his pellets in water, tried him with his favourite fruit, but he wont touch anything.

What else xan I do? Is it safe for him to go through the night without eating possibly?

He has had Metacam and a gut injection, but need to give him Septrin and Bisolvon to settle down his snuffles flare up.

I do have critical care saches, is it safe to syringe feed him one? He is passing droppings, however they are fairly small.

Thanks

You can give some CC via syringe, but take great care if he is still groggy from a GA. If he has soft tissue damage in his mouth then he will require analgesia for a few days until the lesions heal.

You can give some CC via syringe, but take great care if he is still groggy from a GA. If he has soft tissue damage in his mouth then he will require analgesia for a few days until the lesions heal.

Thanks for the quick reply Jane- has has just eaten atiny little wedge of Banana.

I would feel much better though if he had some of the Oxbow Critical Care in him, would hate to leave him in the night knowing the chances are he wont eat anything.

The only thing that occured to me was if there was a blockage because of syringe feeding critical care- but he is pooing and weeing fine.

My vet has said to continue with Metacam for the next few days until he gets back to normal :)

He has got ulcers all down the one side of his tongue :(

Is it normal for buns to not eat until the day after when having had a dental?

Keep him eating even if it's tiny amounts, just to keep his gut moving. He's probably in a lot of pain. :(
Grim has been like this. Ask the vet to make sure he's on the highest dose he can be, maybe ask if he can have it twice a day and see what the vet thinks it best. But hopefully he'll eat overnight or tomorrow. Keep all the soft food around.

Also see if he would like some warm water in a bowl. Sometimes rabbits prefer lukewarm water to cold water.

I agree absolutely with all the above. Those ulcers will be very sore. Metacam really needs to be given x2 a day for pain relief in this situation, but you need to be sure he's passing plenty of wee too.

Been watching him like a hawk since I last posted.

He has refused pellets and hay, but has had a small handful of grass and a small bit of banana.

Is this enough to keep his gut moving overnight?

I have also syringed him some critical care but he kept spitting it back out and he got agitated :(

When I picked him up I spoke to the vet about pain relief and she just said to give it once a day, he has 0.7 mls at one time, but I shall give them a ring tomorrow to see if he can go on a higher dosage.

He is doing some small wee's, and drinking his water ok, but oddly enough he is refusing his normally favourite food.

I gave him a leaf earlier and he got it all in his mouth, and then all of a sudden it came back out, exactly like you are rewinding a video tape. Is this normal? Has got me really worried, I probably wont sleep a wink :cry:

Been watching him like a hawk since I last posted.

He has refused pellets and hay, but has had a small handful of grass and a small bit of banana.

Is this enough to keep his gut moving overnight?

I have also syringed him some critical care but he kept spitting it back out and he got agitated :(

When I picked him up I spoke to the vet about pain relief and she just said to give it once a day, he has 0.7 mls at one time, but I shall give them a ring tomorrow to see if he can go on a higher dosage.

He is doing some small wee's, and drinking his water ok, but oddly enough he is refusing his normally favourite food.

I gave him a leaf earlier and he got it all in his mouth, and then all of a sudden it came back out, exactly like you are rewinding a video tape. Is this normal? Has got me really worried, I probably wont sleep a wink :cry:

It's a case of small & often (every 2 hours) with tongue ulcers, & fresh food rather than dried so they can get liquid in at the same time. Also they may take fresh food finely chopped (less chewing) The grass looks a good bet. Tomorrow when it's light if you know where there are some wild blackberry bushes get some fresh leaves, rub the thorns off & chop them up -see if he'll take them. He might like the feathery herbs dill & fennel or mint (good for tummies) Sometimes you have to wave it about their mouth 'till they grab it in anger & then they start eating again. I'm afraid it's a long might for you trying to get food in every hour -2hours.

ETA they can have metacam x2 daily to provide better pain cover expecially as he's drinking. I know it's usually prescibed daily.
Evverything crossed for you.

Last edited:
Back