• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on behaviour please

Andie17

Warren Scout
:wave:Hi everyone,I an asking these questions on behalf of my sister in laws friend who does not have access to Internet so can't join to ask for herself. My SIL thoughtbinwas the person to ask as Amy(friend)has two buns in very similar situation as Cinders and PC:D Me:shock::shock: :lol:I have no idea so I'm asking the experts on here;)

She has a male and female pair,living in a shed with large run,about 12 months old and neutered approx 5 months ago,very much loved up,very happy and healthy:D

Problems are
1. They hate been picked up and handled...... Feels she needs to so can health check.......... Does she keep trying?

2. They are very friendly,run upto her........ for food:lol:.......... But when she trys to give nose rubs etc they push her hand out of the way as if they don't like their heads being touched........ Should she continue?

3. When she sits on the shed floor with them they come over and climb on her to investigate but also have a little nip:shock:And sometimes start digging on her.

I've not got a clue:oops:it's been easy peasy with cinders and pc and Hector is so laid back he's unreal:lol:

Any advice I can pass on would be appreciated:wave:

1. She needs to make them feel more comfortable around her. If the run is big enough she should sit inside quietly, not moving, reading a book or something, let them come to her. They will eventually their nosey side gets the best of them in the end! My buns prefer to be called "inquisitive" but it's just nosey :p not many rabbits enjoy being picked up, they think they're being picked up by a predator, it's in their nature. I have a bun who doesn't mind cuddles and one who hates them. It's important that she can handle them though. She needs to make them feel comfortable around her. Eventually they will hop onto her lap. She then needs to stroke the top of their heads, gently, don't go near their backs at first as they see that as a "I'm going to be picked up" sign. Don't nose rub at first as this blocks their vision and can scare them. A gentle head stroke is the way to start, they see that as grooming so should allow her to. Do not touch under the chin at first that's bun language for "groom me please" they will probably take offence to that at first, just start with gentle head strokes. She will eventually be able to pick them up. Some buns let you and some initially protest. Like I say I have a "good" bun and a "bad" one when it comes to being handled. It's just a case of persistence to be honest.

Obviously when handling them she needs to make sure they're secure, bums held tightly and NOT laid on their backs. That will make them appear relaxed but it just trances them and they don't really like it. When I first got Bramble used to handling I would sit on the floor with my legs straight out and sit her facing my knees, so she was sat properly, stroking her head and holding her so she knew she was secure.

2. See above regarding where to stroke etc.

3. Do they lunge when they nip? A nip/nibble can be investigative. That's usually what digging is, just them getting a feel for their surroundings. However, if they're lunging at her that can be a sign of fear / anxiety.

Lastly does she have any other pets that she could be carrying scents of? That could be scaring the buns like if she has a dog for example.

Last edited:
Some rabbits like human attention more than others - mine is usually extremely friendly and cuddly but sometimes (when hes in a mood0 he growls and wont come near us!!

Just ket them go to her in their own time - sometimes it just takes that little bit longer for them to trust :)

Hope this helps xx

Thanks for the replies.......... Do you know why they sometimes nip and don't like their heads stroked?:?

Thanks for the replies.......... Do you know why they sometimes nip and don't like their heads stroked?:?

Depends on how they nip, if it's lunge and nip then that points to a fear / nervousness. If it's a nibble that's more playful / inquisitive.

Some buns nip when you're putting their food down out of excitement but if it's when they're being handled it could be a fear thing. Is she holding them properly? (Bums / back legs secure)

The head stroking may be a trust thing, she needs to move slowly when approaching them for the stroke.

She will get there eventually, it's a persistence thing :thumb:

I've had one of mine 4 years and he hates being picked up only 1 of my 4 let's me pick her up :)

Thank you all for your help, I am popping over at the weekend with SIL to vist buns and Amy and to pass on all your advice:thumb:

Back