• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Storm is having sneezing fits :-( baytrill dose seems high

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Normally it wouldn't cause me a massive amount of worry. Storm has always been known to sneeze very occassionally, especailly if the hay is a bit dusty. Many years ago the vet told me that some rabbits are more sensitive to dust and not to worry. Breathing and everything was fine and Storm has never had any problems.

However this week Storm has been sneezing more than normal. Straight after the sneezeing his nose sounds rattley. He has had a bit of snot which he wiped off with his paw. All these things are different to the normal hay sneezes.

He is still eating and drinking and as boisterous as ever. Although I think he may have slowed down a bit, not sure if it's age realated, heat related ( it is very very humid here ) or sneeze related.

I am very worried now :-(

Does this sound like the dreaded snuffles?

Another thing worrying me is, although he is very boisterous and confident at home, Storm hates going out of his comfort zone and gets quite stressed. Should I take Gypsy to the vets with him? she seems to have a calming effect on Storm.

Last edited:
I would certainly take him to the vet as I suspect there is somekind of respitory infection going on.

Try not to panic, snuffles is a very generic term as respitory probs can be quite complicated in bunnies. Admittedly I had a bunny who suffered for years with a chronic respitory infection but I also have two others who had a short course of antibiotics and have never had a problem since.

I would certainly take him to the vet as I suspect there is somekind of respitory infection going on.

Try not to panic, snuffles is a very generic term as respitory probs can be quite complicated in bunnies. Admittedly I had a bunny who suffered for years with a chronic respitory infection but I also have two others who had a short course of antibiotics and have never had a problem since.

:thumb:

If Gypsy is his bonded partner, then yes, 100% take them together. Not doing so could break their bond.

Thank you for the advice :D I'm trying not to panic, but with bunnies that's not always easy.

I have taken Gypsy to the vet on her own lots and there's never been a problem with their bond. Even in the early days when Storm went in to be neautered Gypsy accepted him back. Maybe I've just been very lucky! :shock:

Can't offer any advice but sending nose rubs and vibes for Storm from me,Hector,Cinders and PC:love:Hope he gets well soon and let us know how he's doing:wave:

Thank you for the vibes, it means a lot :D

The receptionists face was a picture at the vets :lol: she was like " awww let me see the little bunny :shock: WOW he's huge!," :lol:

Storm did not enjoy the vets one bit bless him. He tried to make himself into a flat furry pancake. I'm sure he thought that he would turn invisible that way :lol: All the time he was on the vets table he was a fluffy puddle, I've never seen such a flat bunny :shock:

the vet listened to his lungs, they were fine. His heart sounded fine, his temp was good, his teeth were exelent :D. The vet couldn't find anything obvious at all :?
Storm was given a baytrill injection and I have baytrill to give at home, 4 mils a day, does this sound like loads to you? it looks like a lot :?

I'm glad everything went ok at the vets! :wave: Not sure about the Baytril as Boris always had Septrin for his snuffles and I don't know if the dosage is similar at all...but how much does he weigh? Boris is roughly 1.4 kgs and he had 0.7 ml Septrin twice a day. Hopefully someone else who has more experience with Baytril will be able to tell you if the dosage is accurate :)

I'm glad everything went ok at the vets! :wave: Not sure about the Baytril as Boris always had Septrin for his snuffles and I don't know if the dosage is similar at all...but how much does he weigh? Boris is roughly 1.4 kgs and he had 0.7 ml Septrin twice a day. Hopefully someone else who has more experience with Baytril will be able to tell you if the dosage is accurate :)

storm is just under 6kg

Back