• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Odd shaped poos? when to worry?

MotherPanda

Warren Scout
Just wanted to check, generally my new rabbits have nice normal rabbit poos, they are still quite dark but am aiming for golden! however have noticed over the last couple of weeks (since I've had them) a few smaller poos, a few poos that seem to be joined together by what looks like strands of hay, and a few ever so slightly longer poos (look more like pellets) these are in the minority, and generally I have hundreds of perfect little round balls, so i know that generally they are healthy, is it ok to have the occasional odd poo - or is this something to worry about. I have no way of telling who's little bum they came from...

I am seeing the vet next weekend for their vaccinations, so they will be getting a health check then anyway, just wanted to check that this wasn't a bad sign.

Thanks!

Are they moulting? It's possible that the poos were joined together by fur that's passed through their systems. A good brush and lots of fibre (hay hay hay) will help if this is the case :thumb:

Yes, they are moulting tons, That could well be it causing the strung together ones. Grooming might be a bit tricky, they're not keen on being handled yet as they are wildie crosses, though one will let me near her. They eat lots of hay, which is good, especially when I put it in cardboard boxes.

Sounds like it's just excess fluff working it's way through then. If they don't do brushing I wouldn't worry too much, if they will let you stroke them you can get cotton gloves with rubber dots to pick up loose hair. If not just keep an eye out and encourage the hay eating, boxes sound like a good idea :thumb:

I think they prefer to dig out all the hay from the boxes, so that they can get inside the box themselves, then - how about that! a tasty snack right there!

Gloves sound like a good idea - could just give them a stroke as they go flying past... as we have runaround tunnels, I think a lot of their fur actually comes off in that as it rubs off - though I can see tufts of it on their backs blowing in the wind.

Glad it doesn't sound like it's something serious then.

They sound entertaining! Mine have tufts of hair sticking out everywhere at the moment too. Thankfully they enjoy sprawling out and letting me tug out any loose tufts. I have these gloves: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikki-Gro...0?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item25693e088a

There are cheaper and more expensive ones out there. They're handy for getting all the loose surface hair without using a brush (which is apparently unacceptable to my two) :lol:

Hope your buns are fluff free and happy in their new coats soon!

oh it sounds normal to me:)whatever you do you never know what they're able to swallow, those bunnies:D

Thanks - I'm a reassured bunny mummy :) It's just like having a newborn again... poo is the focus of all conversation! :lol::lol:

Back