• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Hutch renovation has begun!!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
He brought home some offcuts of wood left from building a bannister, and wants to build a new one from them. They aren't the right size so he wants to cut notches or something and make it complicated... :roll:

He favours the improvise as you go along approach but I just want to buy some wood the right thickness and make an exact replica of the existing door. Hence the argument! I am shocking at DIY and can't picture what he wants to do, and he won't draw any plans as he wants to work it out as he builds it.

Aaaaaaarrrrgghhhh!!

Last edited:
My OH is similar, I generally sit down and draw out some plans but if he's in one of his odd moods then I just leave him to it. If it fails then we do what I want in the end and if it's a success then there's no problem. :D

Now I'm not one to generally take the mans side :)lol::lol::lol:) but if you have one there who is willing to make bunny stuff let him!
I'm sure he'll make a grand job:thumb:

Me and my OH generally can't work together on DIY stuff without an argument so now we take it in turns:lol::lol:

My OH is similar, I generally sit down and draw out some plans but if he's in one of his odd moods then I just leave him to it. If it fails then we do what I want in the end and if it's a success then there's no problem. :D

This was my train of thought, although I really wanted to get it done on Sunday as I work 5 days a week and volunteer 1 day, so will have to wait a whole week to try again :lol: Patience is not my strong point!

Now I'm not one to generally take the mans side :)lol::lol::lol:) but if you have one there who is willing to make bunny stuff let him!
I'm sure he'll make a grand job:thumb:

Me and my OH generally can't work together on DIY stuff without an argument so now we take it in turns:lol::lol:

I was amazed when he brought home the wood, was expecting to have to try and pin him down to get him to 'help' me ;)

If he is a joiner / handy man (which I assume he is if he was building a bannister) then chances are that he will do a fine job.

He is a mechanic who's doing some odd jobs in between work, he starts his new job Monday! :D I'll let him get on with it and see what happens :)

If the wood was free and the only thing its going to cost if it goes wrong is time then I'd just leave him to it. If it doesn't work you can always say I told you so.

I'd let him do it. My OH has been supposedly building me a hutch since Xmas - would be very grateful for a guy who would actually get on with it, and wouldn't care how!

Update

So, today we took the old door off and realised that it is in even worse condition than we thought! We compromised on how to do the new one and combined our ideas :thumb:

The pieces for the new frame are now cut and painting has begun, the mesh is currently being squashed by the garden furniture as it had been rolled up tight in the shed!

We've also made a new handle for the upstairs hatch door, and took the opportunity to take the solid door off and give it another coat of paint.

OH is putting corner pieces on so that we can also make shutters, inspired by Fluffers and this thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...weather-fox-proofing-ideas&highlight=shutters

Eeeeeeee!!!

Back