• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing problems

Borismeister

Young Bun
My friend has been texting to say her rabbit has had trouble breathing since about 6pm when she brought him in from the run in the garden. She sent me a video and he's sat upright, nostrils flaring and mouth open.

I'd have had mine straight down the vet, but her vet told her to leave him until the morning.

I have offered to pay the emergency fee because I can't cope with it! But she says she's still going to wait until morning on the vet's advice (although she suspects he just wanted to get home!)

Is she right? Should I insist a little more? Is there anything she can do to help?

I'd want to see a vet tonight, but probably not that vet as they don't sound very rabbit savvy. Sounds like the rabbit is mouth breathing which isn't a good sign.

The rabbit needs a vet NOW. Mouth breathing is serious, emergency treatment is needed. Please try and convince your friend.

Mouth breathing is a critical situation and he needs to see a vet tonight. For a vet to say different, they are either negligent or incompetent. So I think, either way, she needs to see a differnt, hopefully better vet.

She's not taking him :( A different emergency vet said because he's eating and drinking it can't be that serious, and she says his breathing has slowed down a lot.

We will see in the morning...at least I know it's not the money stopping her and she's not the irresponsible sort, so I will have to trust her judgement!

Last edited:
She's not taking him :( A different emergency vet said because he's eating and drinking it can't be that serious, and she says his breathing has slowed down a lot.

We will see in the morning...at least I know it's not the money stopping her and she's not the irresponsible sort, so I will have to trust her judgement!

If it were one of my rabbits, I'd be off to the vet - not worth the risk.
Hope your friend's rabbit will be ok.

I'll update the thread tomorrow!

I wonder what it is though to be getting better now? Mine breathe quickly sometimes, but never like that. A sting? Swallowed something funny?

As far as I know it could be infection, pnuemonia, heart problem. Something is inpacting on her ability to breathe and she's having to resort to using her mouth instead of her nose which they only do when they really, really have to

I can only echo what everyone else has said, if it was one of mine I'd be straight to the emergency vet.

Yes - sorry I was in London yesterday.

Yes - he's all better! Miraculous.

Yesterday morning he was still breathing heavily, but carrying on with life as usual. This morning he's back to his old self but apparently "air sniffing" a lot more than usual.

Vet thinks it was a sting.

Thank you to everyone for your support. I still would have taken mine down, and it sounds as though this recovery was the exception rather than the rule.x. Lucky bunny wabbit!

Last edited:
Back