• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay not eating. U/D yay eating!

Jamie

Warren Scout
Teddy at her op thi afternoon but still hasn't eaten. She has had very little water. She has weed and done a few poos. Is there anything I can do. Am so worried. X

Teddy went back to the vet this morning. She was given some more pain relief and gut stimulant. She had some recovery mix then staight away ate loads of parsley! She is now out having a bit of a wander! X

Last edited:
Offer her everything you can think of that she loves. Fresh herbs like basil and parsley seem to go down well.
Have you been given pain relief to give to her at home?

Offer her everything you can think of that she loves. Fresh herbs like basil and parsley seem to go down well.
Have you been given pain relief to give to her at home?

She has been offered parsley, strawberry, raspberry, apple and broccoli as well as other dry treats. She won't touch any. She is only drinking when I hold a bottle to her mouth. I haven't been given any pain relief to give her. She has cleaned her self and had a little walk around. X

It is normal for rabbits not to eat after a spay, it's a pretty big operation. If you're worried then ring the vets, they should have an emergency number and you should be able to speak to someone on the phone even if you don't take her in. I expect they will say to bring her in first thing tomorrow if she's still not eaten. I would ask if you can have some painkillers for her. She should have been given an injection that lasts 24 hours but she might need some more for a few days after.

It is dangerous for rabbits to stop eating but they are often quite slow to eat when they've been spayed. I would count all the bits of food you give her so you can see if she's eaten anything. Also, can you offer her a bowl of water?

It is normal for rabbits not to eat after a spay, it's a pretty big operation. If you're worried then ring the vets, they should have an emergency number and you should be able to speak to someone on the phone even if you don't take her in. I expect they will say to bring her in first thing tomorrow if she's still not eaten. I would ask if you can have some painkillers for her. She should have been given an injection that lasts 24 hours but she might need some more for a few days after.

It is dangerous for rabbits to stop eating but they are often quite slow to eat when they've been spayed. I would count all the bits of food you give her so you can see if she's eaten anything. Also, can you offer her a bowl of water?

She has a bowl of water but she isn't intersted in it.
I will count her food and see if any have gone by tomorrow. I think I will be ringing the vets first thing. Thanks for your advise. X

I hope she's okay! Ring the vets if you're worried tonight but definitely get her in first thing tomorrow if she's still not eaten.

Half asleep misread u did try fresh herbs sorry

Have tried her on parsley as that's her favourite. Through the night she hasn't eaten at all. She is looking a bit brighter and more relaxes. She has laid out rather then hunching. She did s couple a of soft pops in the night and one that was big but like a cow pat and a massive wee. I think I will have to take her back to the vets. All my other buns were eating nearly straight away! She is so greedy I thought she would have! X

Have tried her on parsley as that's her favourite. Through the night she hasn't eaten at all. She is looking a bit brighter and more relaxes. She has laid out rather then hunching. She did s couple a of soft pops in the night and one that was big but like a cow pat and a massive wee. I think I will have to take her back to the vets. All my other buns were eating nearly straight away! She is so greedy I thought she would have! X

The most important thing is to get pain relief for her, ideally about 5 days worth. It is a major op and she is bound to be feeling it. Once she has had that, firefly today she will munch. Maybe try some dandelions, washed but not dried top give extra fluid. Hope things improve soon.

How is she doing?

She is better thank u. The vet gave her a gut stimulant and some pain relief. She has had some recovery mix and has eaten some parsley and broccoli. Hopefully is she is on the mend! X

Last edited:
I don't understand why lots of vets aren't giving pain relief to give at home for 5 days. I got that with doughnut and she was eating within 24 hours and pain free the whole time. Also had fibreplex and an antibiotic.

The pellets were the last thing that Doughnut started eating again, even though they are her favourite. Fresh herbs are good to get her eating as mentioned before and I used to give her her meds on a bit of weetabix which she loved.

I gave her a bowl but she continued to drink from the bottle.

I don't understand why lots of vets aren't giving pain relief to give at home for 5 days. I got that with doughnut and she was eating within 24 hours and pain free the whole time. Also had fibreplex and an antibiotic.

The pellets were the last thing that Doughnut started eating again, even though they are her favourite. Fresh herbs are good to get her eating as mentioned before and I used to give her her meds on a bit of weetabix which she loved.

I gave her a bowl but she continued to drink from the bottle.

The vet didn't give Teddy a 5 day course, just another jab that should last about 24hours. When I have had the other buns done I have had no problems. Teddy loves her food so i thought she would have eaten. She seems a bit happier now tho! X

He is better thank u. The vet gave her a gut stimulant and some pain relief. She has had some recovery mix and has eaten some parsley and broccoli. Hopefully is she is on the mend! X

Great news!
Hopefully that will get her all going again.

I don't think pain relief for 24 hours is much for a major op! Would rather have pain relief given to me for a few days so that I don't have to take Doughnut back to the vets again for an injection as too stressful. I guess I'm lucky as my vets gave me 7 days worth so just had to take her back to get her stitches out.

Back