• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
:wave:

I have posted on here before about litter training, However feel the need to post again as i need all the help i can get!

Im trying to litter train my bunnies.

On the first and second day we had one bunny, out of the three who didnt quite get the hang of it.

Now there seems to be more and more puddles of wee appearing.

They are in an inside cage,
I have cardboard, then Some spare carpet then i have put newspaper all over the cage as i feared in the learning process itll ruin the carpet and then they wont get comfy.

I then filled the litter tray with cats litter (being very selective of my choice).

The rabbits never normally go to wee just on the litter, They normally wait until there is some newspaper in there (I pick up the newspaper once they have weed on it and put it in the tray) Is this more because their scent is already in there? Im not sure.

When i let them out playing. we have had one accident where one weed on the floor, but other than that there hasnt been any, As far as im aware.

Im really sorry about how long this is but im new to litter training and if im doing anything wrong please tell me as im always willing to learn.

They are coming up to nine weeks.

As ive put newspaper in the litter tray, should i not put it all over the floor of their cage?

Like i said ill appreciate any replies.

Many thanks.

I have washable rugs that I put in the cage, that way I can just stick it in the washing machine if there are any accidents. As for the litter trays, just try with newspaper and hay if they seem to be using the paper areas, then once they are using the area you can stick the cat litter in (assuming it is non-clumping stuff).

Bunnies can be better with their litter habits once they are neutered / spayed. They are very young so hopefully will learn in time.

Back