• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my boy too old??

aimz

Young Bun
Hi guys, I am looking into getting my big boy a friend, but obviously want to get him neutered. But does anyone know what limitations are on age for neutering, Bertie is 2 years old (ish).

Thanks guys
Amy x

Nowhere near too old :)

Go and see your vet and discuss it with him - a good rabbit savvy vet will always do a full health check prior to a neuter op :)

Bobak was 20 months when he was neutered and he was absolutely fine following the op. 5 weeks later we took on Dusty and they are now happily living together :love:

Sorry another question while you guys are around. This is gonna be a silly question, but how do I know if he's already been neutered before asking the vet.

Bertie's testicles aren't huge or anything, they are a little shrivelly, is what a neutered boy looks like?? Or if anyone has got a pic of the difference as I've been looking online, but not having much luck, as there are no pictures at all.

Thanks
Amy x

Sorry another question while you guys are around. This is gonna be a silly question, but how do I know if he's already been neutered before asking the vet.

Bertie's testicles aren't huge or anything, they are a little shrivelly, is what a neutered boy looks like?? Or if anyone has got a pic of the difference as I've been looking online, but not having much luck, as there are no pictures at all.

Thanks
Amy x

They don't have them at all once neutered, they kind of disappear all together!

Thanks,

I'm not used to rabbits, I have guinea pigs for years, Bertie is my first rabbit in about 10 years, so am learning all this again. Although I've had them in the past, I really appreciate all your help on here.
Keeps me up to date with things too.

Thanks
Amy x

Bobak still has his fluffy teabags :oops: as he neuter was only 7 weeks ago. Although they're tiny and shrivelled up now and you kind of have to search for them under all his belly fluff!! :lol: Apparently they will eventually disappear...

I can still see Bert's so as far as I am aware he is still entire. The vet never mentioned anything about him being neutered or not.

Will soon find out when I book him in lol!!

Amy x

Back