• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is spring fever over? My boy won't stop humping

elaine84

Warren Scout
My rabbits are both neutered and spayed but my boy rabbit is so overly sexual he just won't leave my girl alone. It dies down over winter but now it's spring/summer all he wants to do is hump her and it's so stressful. She's got arthritis in her back and finds it hard to get away from him so I've been separating them with mesh so they can still sit together but he can't climb on her. He still goes crazy and sprays wee on her through the mesh. She's constantly growling at him and seems sad. It's really getting me down cos I can't leave them alone together. When will spring fever go?
The vet has tried my boy on an anti-testosterone injection but it's not helping :(
He only humps the female, he doesn't hump anything else.
She seems to be healthy ie it's not an illness thing, and this happens every year but I've only had him 2 summers (including this one).
Does this happen to anyone else's rabbits?

Yep one here also it's not as bad now but the female starting doing it to him unfortunately not too bad now tho was horrendous 4 weeks ago it was non stop I went and bought some extra little stools from the range to put in the runs and house so they could get under I also bought 3 snuggle safe tunnels so it's not too bad when they are in their house/runs its when I let em out on a morning and tea time but thankfully it's not too bad now they soon forget

Breeding season ends in August, so can be up until then and even a bit after if the weather is good.

George won't leave Gemma alone and a couple of times I have considered separating them as I feel so sorry for her. She has started hiding in their tunnel or under the plastic stool as he can't hump her in there.

It was the same last year and it did pass and I am loathe to separate them as usually they are a very snuggly, happily married couple but poor Gemma isn't given a moment's peace.

Are your two neutered Rihanna? It's a nightmare isn't it! Feel so bad putting something between them so he can't get to her but feel even worse when he's on her and she's growling and struggling to get away :( Glad other people understand what mine are going through though!

Ahh is that what it is. I was just about to ask what is going on.

My buck Alvin (neutered) wont stop humping my doe Roxy (she isn't yet neutered), he's been humping her constant since the weekend and back to honking and spraying like he was before neutering. So far she has been tolerent but she is beginning to get a bit of a bald back as he is holding on to her fur and when she runs it pulls out. Should I be concerned about this, I'm worried that they'll start to fight.

She is also trying to hump him but he can escape better than she can.

Right now my partner has Alvin in another room as poor Roxy (doe) hasn't had peace all night.

Hiya you do need to get your doe spayed as your boy will be more attracted to her unspayed.
Also does can be very aggressive when not spayed, and they're susceptible to cancers.
Hate spring fever :'(

Hiya you do need to get your doe spayed as your boy will be more attracted to her unspayed.
Also does can be very aggressive when not spayed, and they're susceptible to cancers.
Hate spring fever :'(

I do need to get her sprayed, shes old enough now but I am due away for a long weekend in a couple of weeks so was waiting until after I got back so I could keep a good eye on her myself.

Are your two neutered Rihanna? It's a nightmare isn't it! Feel so bad putting something between them so he can't get to her but feel even worse when he's on her and she's growling and struggling to get away :( Glad other people understand what mine are going through though!

George definitely is - he was a BARC bun and done before I had him. Gemma came from the adoption part of PAH as she was an unwanted pet and I was told she had been spayed but obviously I can't be sure. My vet couldn't see a scar but he said that didn't mean she hadn't been done.

Poor Gemma doesn't even growl, just keeps running away. She was still flopped out by George when I came in just now so I am going to just keep an eye on her. I really don't want to separate them unless it is essential.

It is stressful. I seem to spend all my time keep telling poor George to 'get off'. He will come to me for nose rubs but Gemma is definitely the main attraction. Even noms get ignored if he is mid 'hump':cry:

George definitely is - he was a BARC bun and done before I had him. Gemma came from the adoption part of PAH as she was an unwanted pet and I was told she had been spayed but obviously I can't be sure. My vet couldn't see a scar but he said that didn't mean she hadn't been done.

Poor Gemma doesn't even growl, just keeps running away. She was still flopped out by George when I came in just now so I am going to just keep an eye on her. I really don't want to separate them unless it is essential.

It is stressful. I seem to spend all my time keep telling poor George to 'get off'. He will come to me for nose rubs but Gemma is definitely the main attraction. Even noms get ignored if he is mid 'hump':cry:

I know it's lovely when they're flopped out isn't it, but he'll suddenly jump up from a sleeping position, start honking and getting all frantic smelling her then climb on again :cry:

My little Nethie is constantly on the back of my rather large Lops, he never achieves anything because he is so small, but he keeps trying, bless him. The girls are so much bigger and stronger than him, they can get away easily, but it is annoying when people stop to talk to the cute little bunnies and they are doing that :shock:

Try having a meeting with your accountant then hearing a strange noise and looking up to see them at it!! :oops: :oops:

Back