• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please - my poor sofa :(

Stiglet

Young Bun
Bolt for some reason has taken to pooing and weeing on a particular corner of the sofa. I don't know what to do anymore!!

She is indoors and has her litter tray in her cage which she uses all throughout the day and then when i'm home from work she has free run of the living room/dining room and kitchen. She was spayed in november and since then has been really good at pooing in her litter tray. For some reason though she has taken to the sofa to continually wee and poo on! I've tried picking her up and putting her in her litter tray when she's in the act, i've tried putting a towel down which she just dragged to the side and weed behind. I even resorted to putting her litter tray on the sofa just to try and save the cushion from her bottom!!
She won't do it if me or OH are lying with our legs there, she only does it when that half of the sofa is empty.

I just know if she could laugh or poke her tongue out at me that's what she'd be doing everytime i caught her!
Please help me!

Last edited:
Have you tried neutralizing the sofa I think white vinegar can be used to get rid of the urine smell, she can probably smell it and now associates it with the toilet.

Other than that can you block her from getting up for a while? Maybe a break away from getting up will stop the behavior.

My rabbits have decided the sofa is for digging, tearing apart and chilling on when humans aren't in the room, I've caught then relaxing on it once or twice but they don't sit on it when I'm in the room :lol:

Unfortunately sofas tend to be a target! Try not to react when she does it or she'll pick up on the fact it gets her attention. A tarpaulin or plastic sheet over should make it easier to clean up and allow you not to have to jump up each time and immediately clean it.

Roxy did this for a while. She has always been allowed on the couch but started peeing and pooping for no apparent reason. We have a leather suite so it was easy enough to wipe up and we didn't give her any reaction when she did it. It stopped as quickly as it started and she hasn't done it since.

Sorry, not much help really, but I thought it might reassure you to know that it will probably stop :)

The chewing of the corners however, well, that's a work in progress.... Sigh.... :)

Back