• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy's bloat - UD :'(

weedug

Mama Doe
Sorry, I have threads about him scattered everywhere, so thought that I would make this his main thread, as I am needing some health advice about him.

Floppy was at the vet yesterday with bloat and got a gut stimulant, subcut fluids, BIRP, vetergesic, and he is on zantac and metacam anyway.

He isn't any better this morning, and has been tooth grinding during the night. He passed a load of mucus and a little poo last night, then nothing till this morning. He is nibbling a little on some grass and rose leaves etc and is drinking a little himself.

His tummy is very bloated though. I will be taking him to the vet shortly, and just wondered what we should be looking at getting now. Is there any benefit to him staying in on a drip instead of getting subcut fluids?

Last edited:
I would definitely want him admitted. The Vetergesic only gives pain relief for a maximum of 6 hours. He may also need tubing to deflate the bloat. If the bloat is due to an obstruction from his stomach to his intestines then a gut stimulant could actually make thinks worse. So ascertaining the cause of the bloat is very important.

He really does sound to be very poorly and I think admission for intensive care will give him the best chance of pulling through

Good luck xx

Floppy got thoroughly checked over again, and his tummy wasn't as bloated as it had been. The vet said he could feel a lot of fluid in his guts though, so was a bit concerned that he might get diarrhoea. I might be wrong there, as I was getting a bit confused with what he was saying, I've been under so much stress lately.

He felt the cause was quite possibly the high metacam dose Floppy has been on for some time now. Floppy got some sub-cut fluids, vetergesic, and a couple of other injections :oops:.

The vet was concerned at how poorly Floppy was, and said that if there was no improvement within 24 hours, he felt that it wasn't fair to keep going :(. The practice doesn't have staff there overnight, and if Floppy had been kept in, he would have been alone from 4pm-9am.

I have vetergesic to give him up to 4 times a day, fibreplex, zantac and a gut stimulant to give Floppy at home. I have been in and out all afternoon to get Floppy his favourite foods, and he has been doing quite well with them. He has things like apple tree leaves, rose leaves, raspberry leaves, dandelions, grass, mint and strawberry leaves. His last lot of poos had some tiny ones, and some normal looking ones.

I will be staying with him again all night, to monitor him and make sure he is warm enough and has everything that he needs.

Floppy got thoroughly checked over again, and his tummy wasn't as bloated as it had been. The vet said he could feel a lot of fluid in his guts though, so was a bit concerned that he might get diarrhoea. I might be wrong there, as I was getting a bit confused with what he was saying, I've been under so much stress lately.

He felt the cause was quite possibly the high metacam dose Floppy has been on for some time now. Floppy got some sub-cut fluids, vetergesic, and a couple of other injections :oops:.

The vet was concerned at how poorly Floppy was, and said that if there was no improvement within 24 hours, he felt that it wasn't fair to keep going :(. The practice doesn't have staff there overnight, and if Floppy had been kept in, he would have been alone from 4pm-9am.

I have vetergesic to give him up to 4 times a day, fibreplex, zantac and a gut stimulant to give Floppy at home. I have been in and out all afternoon to get Floppy his favourite foods, and he has been doing quite well with them. He has things like apple tree leaves, rose leaves, raspberry leaves, dandelions, grass, mint and strawberry leaves. His last lot of poos had some tiny ones, and some normal looking ones.

I will be staying with him again all night, to monitor him and make sure he is warm enough and has everything that he needs.

I really hope that he can pull through. Lots of vibes being sent xx

I really hope that Floppy improves tonight. It is wonderful you have so many tasty foods to tempt him with.

Sending Floppy lots of vibes for a quick recovery. You have lots to tempt him with. Come on Floppy, you can pull through this.

Lots and lots of vibes for poor little Floppy. Really hope there is some improvement for him overnight.

Thank you for all the well wishes for Floppy :D.

He has spent a pleasant evening in his own home with the people who love him, and hasn't seemed in so much pain. He has been nibbling away at his goodies, and doing some poos. He even felt up to giving himself a little wash :love:. He seems to be able to keep his temperature up himself a bit better now, and hasn't spent all his time lying on the heat pads.

Poor Floppy. He is such a wee sweetheart, I have a real soft spot for your wee man and often wonder how he's holding up. Big vibes that he continues to nibble away and be the general adorable fella he is.

You look after yourself too missus!

Adding some vibes that Floppy continues to improve and is back to himself soon. ((((((((((((((((Healing vibes))))))))))))))))

Back