• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy's bloat - UD :'(

I'm glad that he's had a good morning and hope that the improvement continues.

Sending more get well vibes for Floppy and I hope you have managed to get a bit of rest yourself. xx

Thank you so much for thinking of Floppy.

He has had a better day today, and has managed to munch quite a lot by himself. I don't want to get to hopeful yet as he has been good for a day before, then the next day he is as bad as ever. He seems much stronger today though, and looks different. I really, really hope he is still good tomorrow. He has been drinking and weeing fine for himself. His poos are a bit soft, presumably because of the antibiotics, but not totally runny although his bottom is in a bit of a mess. I am trying to keep him as dry as I can. I know he could change antibiotics, but these ones seem to be helping, so I am loathe to change them.

I have missed out the syringe feed I was going to give him about now, because he has been munching on his pellets, grass and apple twigs himself. I will see how he is and maybe give him a feed about 10ish.

I haven't had a rest yet, but am planning to go to bed tonight, and get up and check on him a couple of times. I have developed a huge ulcer on my eyeball a couple of days ago which is so painful. I am having to take painkillers to cope with it. It will be so worth it just to have my little man well again.

:wave: Hi, hope you're ok this morning. Eye ulcer sounds nasty, :( hope Floppy is doing ok & you managed to get a rest. He's one lucky bunny to have all this care & attention from you. Take care ((hugs))

Floppy is not so happy again this morning :(.

I can't work out where the problem is though, as his tummy feels ok, and he is pooping. He is back to only nibbling a little and is much quieter. He doesn't seem to be in obvious pain.

His poop isn't normal, but there is only the odd bit mucus on it. His bottom is quite messy and wet though, but I can't work out if he is still passing the liquid as well as more solid poops, or if it is wee. His botty was in a mess and always wet a few months ago, and his poops were fine then.

He is back to losing weight, even though he has been eating :(

Last edited:
:wave: Hi, hope you're ok this morning. Eye ulcer sounds nasty, :( hope Floppy is doing ok & you managed to get a rest. He's one lucky bunny to have all this care & attention from you. Take care ((hugs))

Thank you so much for all your support :wave:

I am sorry he isn't well this morning. This is such an awful situation for you, he is really struggling and it is so hard to watch when they are so ill.

Thinking of you, hoping you can get some rest.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am so very soirry to read this update. Lord knows, you certainly did all you could for him. Try and take a little comfort in the fact that he is fully well now and healed. Floppy is well. xx

i cant believe it... poor floppy... i really hoped he was getting better:cry: so sorry to hear that he passed, all bunny licks being sent to you from our home to you:love:
i hope that lucky is still ok..:p

Oh no! Just seen this, I'm so sorry that he didn't make it. You poor thing, you really did him proud, you've been so dedicated to his care. (((big hugs))) You obviously loved him such a lot & he will have known that. PM me any time, It's less than a week since I lost Ozzie so I know what you're going through. Please take care of yourself too, you must be exhausted. xxx

Thank you for the kind messages. Although Floppy had a lovely day yesterday, and was very bright, he started to go downhill again early this morning. He was unable to keep himself warm and needed snugglesafes and he was only eating tiny amounts. His bottom was so terribly messy with the fluid he was passing. It was obvious that he was suffering and wouldn't make a recovery.

We had a lovely little tour of the garden before we went to the vet, with Floppy wrapped up in a blanket. I used to take him on tours when he first came here as a baby.

By the time we got to the vet there was a huge difference in him, and the vet said it would be kinder for her to take him away and give him gas first, as his veins would have all shut down. So I didn't get to hold my little boy at the end :cry:.

I am utterly broken hearted :cry::cry:. He was one of my first foster buns, and my special boy :cry::cry::cry:.

What will I do without him?

Im so sorry to read this I know how you loved this boy and I am in tears reading this....You gave him the best life anyone could give him and done more than most for him ......Blinky free wee one pm me or call if you need to chat. You have listened and been there for me in the past . I am here for you also

:cry: My heart goes out to you, I feel your pain. It hurts so much to see them suffer and you just want them to be better again so bad. You did your absolute best for him, please take some comfort in that.

I am so very sorry he never made it. Such a brave boy and was very lucky to have someone so dedicated to him. Thinking of you x

Back