• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, really worried :(

Ozbun

Warren Scout
Hello, Ozzie is not himself at all. If i hadn't read about stastis & didn't know him, I'd think he was a chilled out & content bunny... but i do know him. Also this is so frustrating, the laptop keeps freezing up so I couldn't even get on here last night. The return key doesn't seem to be working now! Ozzie seems almost normal if a little quiet, he is a great hay eater usually but yesterday he just seemed listless & off his hay, i also hadn't seen him poo. I bought him some mint & he wolfed that down, put a bit of apple juice on the hay & he did eat some but really only wanted to lick the juice. He seems fine one minute, still runs over to investigate when i open the fridge door or rattle the pellet jar. but he does keep going spaced out, stays in one place in the middle of the room for ages. Not pressing abdomen down or grinding teeth. Then goes really alert again. His eyes are bright & abdomen soft, ears up. He has eaten hay today (rubbed with apple juice again) but doesn't want mint. He came running over for pellets & wolfed them down. He wants to eat but only certain things. I didn't really want to give him those, would rather the hay, what do you think? I heard gurgling when he had a drink. He will stand & jump but is willing to be handled a lot, which is unlike him. The other thing is that i am not well AND feeling exhausted & stressed anyway at the moment so will worry dramatically about anything. I was going to take him to the vet today but he did a few poos in the night & this morning has done about 5 poos that go from dark to light & are of normal size. Is this a mood do you think? He needs neutering soon, he had been circling & grunting. i was even wondering if it was that making him sad? What should i look for & do you thing he needs the vet now? :-(

I had just finished writing that & found him in his litter tray, munching, he also had a wee! Still not quite himself though, it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't know your rabbit's personality & thinks they look fine... i think you guys will understand...

It's possible he's sort of in stasis, like a mini stasis. This has happened to me before with Ben. He just wasn't himself and not eating/pooping enough but he wasn't really bad off. It lasted about 24 hours. Might have lasted longer though if I hadn't been getting him to run around to keep his gut moving and I kept holding hay and pellets in front of his face so he'd eat a bit.

Hopefully it'll be like Ben's and with a bit of luck he'll come out of it soon.

Thanks William, I have been making him run & it doesn't seem to be difficult for him to do, it is horrible when they are just "not quite right" isnt it :( I was in a bit of a tizzy but have just seen Sky-O's post on when to seek vet attention so will be guided by that too.

Bunnies are so good at hiding pain or that anything that might be wrong that I think it is good to trust your instincts that something is not right. Especially as you say he seems to have gone off his hay and not pooing very much. I'd be worrying about the lack of poo - 5 poos isnt very many at all considering how many they would usually do. Has he had a tooth check recently? Personally I would take him to the vets, I just tend to think its better to be on the safe side and then you won't be worrying all weekend if he has the all clear. So that's what I would do personally. Keep tempting him with the fresh herbs as well.

I know... Ozzie can poo for England usually. I'm keeping a close eye. he's done some more but they are a little small. His teeth were checked in December & vet said they were fine but i do wonder about that.

Every bun is different so it's really about knowing the signs and knowing your bun on when to take him to the vet.

I didn't take Ben when he's had 'mini stasis' because I know he doesnt like car rides and after going to the vets to be neutered he barely ate for a couple of days (though that could have just been due to the operation/pain or a side effect of the pain meds). So i didn't want to risk it unless he got worse.

Just trust your instincts. :)

Have his teeth been checked recently? Smetimes being selective with eating can be a symptom of spurs on the back teeth. Is he drinking more water than usual?

Not happy with vet advice...

Ozzie has been eating, but he hasn't done any more poos. He' still runs over all enthusiastic if I open the fridge door or shake the pellet jar but inbetween times is very quiet. I'm really upset. I rang the emergency vet & told him all his symptoms, he listened and said "if he's eating hay he should be ok, if he's not done anything by tomorrow then bring him in... sorry i have to answer the other phone...) and that was it. :(

Sorry the emergency vet wasn't more helpful (and doesn't sound very rabbit-savvy).

To me it sounds as though your bun needs to be seen today, not left until tomorrow, as they can go downhill so quickly.

Back