• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji's got bloat :(

lilgems91

Mama Doe
When I got home today I noticed he wasnt himself, wouldnt eat anything I put infront of him and he was very quiet.

Took him down to the vets and the vet said he has got bloat, not serious just mild. But he said I caught it in time luckily.

He is home now, and I have been told to give him fibreplex twice tonight and again in the morning.

He had fluids and an injection to keep his gut moving, and also pain relief.

Since he has been home he seems a bit perkier and will now eat pellets off me, which is a good sign!

Just feel all shaky and upset, I hate seeing him in discomfort :(

Is bloat stasis or something different?

When I got home today I noticed he wasnt himself, wouldnt eat anything I put infront of him and he was very quiet.

Took him down to the vets and the vet said he has got bloat, not serious just mild. But he said I caught it in time luckily.

He is home now, and I have been told to give him fibreplex twice tonight and again in the morning.

He had fluids and an injection to keep his gut moving, and also pain relief.

Since he has been home he seems a bit perkier and will now eat pellets off me, which is a good sign!

Just feel all shaky and upset, I hate seeing him in discomfort :(

Is bloat stasis or something different?

Bloat can lead to stasis and is in a lot of ways similar but is different.

Stasis in itself isn't an out and out emergency but bloat is, very much so. Stasis can be caused by things such as dental problems and could be defined as a slow down. It needs treating but isn't a big emergency like bloat. Bloat is a build up of gas is the most likely cause is obstruction - which is why time is of the essence as it can prove fatal very quickly.

Sending recovery vibes.

Thank you for the vibes.

Since he has been home he has been eating pellets and pro fibre- this is a good sign isnt it?

The vet said if he will eat not to syringe feed him any critical care.

Im just so scared to leave him to go to bed, really worried something will happen to him :(

I asked the vet if there was a blockage, and he said no just a bit of bloat.

But he is very bright in himself :)

Thank you for the vibes.

Since he has been home he has been eating pellets and pro fibre- this is a good sign isnt it?

The vet said if he will eat not to syringe feed him any critical care.

Im just so scared to leave him to go to bed, really worried something will happen to him :(

I asked the vet if there was a blockage, and he said no just a bit of bloat.

But he is very bright in himself :)

That's a good sign as is the fact that he is eating for himself. Hopefully he will be feeling much better by tomorrow morning xx

That's a good sign as is the fact that he is eating for himself. Hopefully he will be feeling much better by tomorrow morning xx

Thank you Jane, sorry for my rambling on, I just think the world of my little man :)

I am going to giv him some more fibreplex around midnight and leave him to get some rest.

Do you think it would be wise to check on him during the night or just get up early and see him then?

x

Thank you Jane, sorry for my rambling on, I just think the world of my little man :)

I am going to giv him some more fibreplex around midnight and leave him to get some rest.

Do you think it would be wise to check on him during the night or just get up early and see him then?

x

If he remains bright and continues eating then after his midnight fibreplex I'd let him rest for a few hours. It'd be great if he has passes some poo soon.

Sounds like you caught it just in time! If it was me I would check on him a few hours after midnight if he hasn't passed any poos. Glad he seems to be improving though :) Eating, pooing, and generally seeming bright are all very good signs.

Thank you both :)

It was strange, about half an hour after the vet treated him he's happy to eat a little again. I hope this doesnt mean he was in too much pain :(

Should he be pooing tonight if he is eating? And is there anything else I can do to help him poo?

I have another appointment at the vets in the morning, incase he is still not himself.

He should start pooing tonight, if he hasn't then he will need to see the vets. It can indicate a blockage if he doesn't pass anything so it's important to keep an eye on his output. If he got gut stimulants and pain killers he should look brighter pretty soon after a vet trip if it's not too serious. Fiver was eating about an hour after a vet trip when he had stasis and passed some poo a few hours after that. Just make sure he keeps eating and doesn't show any more signs of pain.

He should start pooing tonight, if he hasn't then he will need to see the vets. It can indicate a blockage if he doesn't pass anything so it's important to keep an eye on his output. If he got gut stimulants and pain killers he should look brighter pretty soon after a vet trip if it's not too serious. Fiver was eating about an hour after a vet trip when he had stasis and passed some poo a few hours after that. Just make sure he keeps eating and doesn't show any more signs of pain.

Thank you, I will definately keep my eye on him.

The vet did say there was no sign of a blockage, but could a blockage occur in the night? Or would it be there for the start?

I have no idea what caused this, he hasnt eaten anything he shouldnt have, there are no changes to his diet, and his teeth are fine :?

I'm not sure if it's likely to occur overnight but I *think* sometimes blockages can only be seen on xray. I'm not an expert in bloat but have experience with stasis, thank god nothing really serious. I'm not 100% certain but if it was a blockage I think he would still look very unwell. Obviously if he has no poos overnight there is still something wrong, whether it be a blockage or a slow down in his guts, both need to be treated by a vet.

It's nerve racking isn't it? I really do feel for you :( *hugs* I hope he starts passing poos so you can relax a little! I never relax until they do some poos, but I'm a bit of a paranoid bunny mummy!

:lol: Im a paranoid bunny mummy too, the vet always says he cant believe how quickly I manage to get benji there when the problem just starts. :)

I just hope he poo's soon. Cupcake is looking after him atm, Im trying to check on him without him noticing as dont want to stress him out.

Ahh right I see, I didnt realise that. Hopefully there's no blockage :(

Well neither of my 2 have ever had statis or bloat, so I dont really know what to do, or expect. Feel useless atm :(

I know how you feel. There's not much you can do and obviously pestering him to eat too much will stress him out.

I think anything can cause it. Did the vet check his teeth? Fiver goes into stasis only when he needs a dental. Xena has been in stasis before but I think it was just a change in hay and stress of coming to a new home and bonding with Fiver. My bridge bun, Ellie had suspected bloat but this was because of a mixture of possible kidney problems and teeth problems. She recovered from the bloat and never went through it again, thank god!

Sorry VeganBunny, Ive only just seen your comment.

Ben seems to be back to normal now thank you, scoffing away like normal and binkying away :D

His poo's are getting back to normal aswell, he has never had large poo's but theyre slightly smaller than they were, Hoepfully this evening they will have returned to normal :)

Back